Flange gasket part number.

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
Greasy

Flange gasket part number.

Post by Greasy »

Looking for an aftermarket part number for the exhaust flange gasket by the muffler. Having difficulties locating them. Need something the local parts house can find or cross reference. Thanks!
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Flange gasket part number.

Post by Navy Lifer »

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... xleA%3D%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This (current) part number has been updated from the original part.

Looking around, I can't find an aftermarket option for these gaskets. Unfortunately, for a low-production vehicle, the aftermarket doesn't always come up with a solution, which may be the case here.
Greasy

Post by Greasy »

Navy Lifer wrote:https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... xleA%3D%3D

This (current) part number has been updated from the original part.

Looking around, I can't find an aftermarket option for these gaskets. Unfortunately, for a low-production vehicle, the aftermarket doesn't always come up with a solution, which may be the case here.
Thanks for the info! I might just buy some material and make my own and use some high temp silicone. Wont be a nice as oem but it will work.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Depending on where you're located, most exhaust system shops will typically have a range of "universal" flange gaskets, and you might find something there.

Also found this--bound to be one that will be close enough!
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/assets/dow ... nChart.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greasy

Post by Greasy »

Did some googling. Looks like the G8 guys are having the same problem. They either use rtv or universal flange gaskets. There are several brands to choose from. Might just buy a small tube of copper rtv and be done with it. I used that stuff before with great success.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Greasy wrote:Did some googling. Looks like the G8 guys are having the same problem.
What am I missing here? The correct service part is available from GM, rather than the aftermarket...so how does that constitute a "problem"?

I understand the desire to avoid cost--is that the sole consideration?
Greasy

Post by Greasy »

For me it’s convenience. I have multiple parts stores in my area that I can get to.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

You've burned up 4 days already. Order the gasket online from GM. Better yet, order TWO sets so you're set for later mods. Just a thought.

I _have_ made gaskets from gasket material before, though, and been pretty lucky with it. It's a fair amount of work, though, with very sharp blades.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Navy Lifer wrote:Depending on where you're located, most exhaust system shops will typically have a range of "universal" flange gaskets, and you might find something there.

Also found this--bound to be one that will be close enough!
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/assets/dow ... nChart.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back home--measured the OE gasket 92280995
ID - 2.75"
Bolt hole spacing - 4.125" center-to-center
$11.85 (GM list price is $17.95 each)

Closest aftermarket gasket I can find:
Walker 31512
View here>>>> https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 52&jsn=291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ID - 2-5/8" (2.625) - still larger than actual pipe ID
Bolt hole spacing - 4-1/4" center-to-center (4.250) - holes appear to be slightly oblong, so it should not be an issue to make this gasket fit the OE flange
$1.36 (via Rock Auto listing)

There now....does everyone feel better???

Who will now step up and spend the money to get this gasket and try it? I've done my part....
Greasy

Post by Greasy »

Went to O’reillys and they easily crossed referenced the walker numbers to their nickson brand. A 13731-1 works just fine. I don’t see how I spend my time should be of any concern to anybody here. In this case I was more comfortable buying from the local store and that’s it. I ended up seeing somebody I know there and it was a pretty pleasant experience overall.