Finally Decided (intake)

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Finally Decided (intake)

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Hmm, mine will still go into 4cyl mode at 75!! I can feel it, and at certain speeds hear it when it does that and switches out. I replaced the OEM intake with a curved piece of pipe, and installed a drop-in K&N filter in the stock airbox. I get no intake sounds when in 4cyl mode, just that V8 growl when at WOT!! :D
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Hmm, mine will still go into 4cyl mode at 75!! I can feel it, and at certain speeds hear it when it does that and switches out. I replaced the OEM intake with a curved piece of pipe, and installed a drop-in K&N filter in the stock airbox. I get no intake sounds when in 4cyl mode, just that V8 growl when at WOT!! :D
stock air box is the key

i think mine has been in dod mode north of 80 , but only when its dead flat or very slightly down hill
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yes, I believe I've felt DOD near/at 80, too.

What's a 'hill'? :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Yes, I believe I've felt DOD near/at 80, too.

What's a 'hill'? :mrgreen:
if the 1-2ft raise and lowering of the road , kinda gives you that floating feeling , and triple digit speeds ;)
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

yea see, we dont have hills around here either.lol

Oh and guess what showed up today!!!!!!!
Attachments
vararam box.jpg
vararam box.jpg (60.87 KiB) Viewed 9685 times
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

So, update. Its installed.

I had some 2nd guesses during the installation. A few "unorthodox" things to point out.

1st, as some of you already know the radiator is pulled back a bit, but its not supported by nothing but the intake box. Not bad and its wedged pretty good, I have no doubts on the radiator making an exit.

2nd: The MAF slips into the airbox, there is no silicone boot. I had to use a butane torch (lightly) to heat up the plastic for the MAF to slide in. Granted, it was 35*F outside. Tight fit, doubt it would leak, but none the less, unorthodox. And obviously a clamp was used.

3rd: There are two silicone couplers in the kit. One goes onto the throttle body, and the other onto the MAF. The TB coupler is too big for the MAF, the second, short, coupler is used to "match" the MAF to the TB. Why not just use a reducer, instead of two separate pieces?

End result.......... EAR-GASM. It is absolutely insane. Seat of the pants a definite, and you just dont hear the intake, you FEEL it. It was well worth the money, I think. The weird things I pointed out earlier aren't detrimental to the use of this kit, like I said, its just different from what Ive seen. And by no means does this fit loose or feel finikey, everything sits and fits tight.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

its so they can fit both stock and larger tb's , and larger maf tubes

the one plus with the vcm is radiator brackets to hold the radiator in its tilted position
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

xcidmigs wrote:Some of that noise etc will be dramatically eliminated by the use of interior sound dampening products. I have no idea why the threads on exhaust etc go on for pages while very few guys do sound reduction projects and no one seems to care. My car is extremely quiet now with just the floor and doors treated. I would really like to do the ceiling next as I have seen at least one thread which shows there is nothing but hollow space up there and it may even help the car stay cooler while parked in summer.
As for the sound deadening, how hard is it to pull the vinyl up from the floor? Do you have to remove front seats? Is it all one piece or is separated back and front? Any tricky spots, screws, etc? What's it even held down with? Adhesive and its own weight? Anywhoobage, I've also seen one thread where he added sound deadening material on or around the gas tank/back seats I know the back seats are easy to remove but I'm also wondering if doing that particular area is necessary. Thanks xcid, you and SM, and a few others have helped me out so much.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Fudgehog wrote:
xcidmigs wrote:Some of that noise etc will be dramatically eliminated by the use of interior sound dampening products. I have no idea why the threads on exhaust etc go on for pages while very few guys do sound reduction projects and no one seems to care. My car is extremely quiet now with just the floor and doors treated. I would really like to do the ceiling next as I have seen at least one thread which shows there is nothing but hollow space up there and it may even help the car stay cooler while parked in summer.
As for the sound deadening, how hard is it to pull the vinyl up from the floor? Do you have to remove front seats? Is it all one piece or is separated back and front? Any tricky spots, screws, etc? What's it even held down with? Adhesive and its own weight? Anywhoobage, I've also seen one thread where he added sound deadening material on or around the gas tank/back seats I know the back seats are easy to remove but I'm also wondering if doing that particular area is necessary. Thanks xcid, you and SM, and a few others have helped me out so much.
This is probably best handled in the Interior section, but everything that touches the floor has to come out. Front seats, back seat bottom, 'console', bottom of the B-pilar trim, door thresholds. IIRC, you'll have to cut part of the mat up under the center of the dash, as there's a bracket that's part of the dash that attaches to the floor. That last part may only be for carpet, but I think they use the same pattern for the rubber mat.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Thanks much appreciated, I don't think it's held down by bolts, but don't quote me. Thanks.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF