Finally Decided (intake)

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
kevink

Re: Finally Decided (intake)

Post by kevink »

Fudgehog wrote:Speaking of that and TBs would this one from MSD work? I know we have that gear cover/don't know technical term on the side for the gears but I'm just curious if this is a potential mod.

https://www.msdperformance.com/products ... parts/2940" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should fit all LS Motors right?
You could just get your stock one ported. What's done to your engine?
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

i like the plastic over the aluminum tube , little less heat soak during the summer months
kevink

Post by kevink »

s/c'd cav wrote:i like the plastic over the aluminum tube , little less heat soak during the summer months
To clarify, the plastic pieces I don't use go inside the tube.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

kevink wrote:
s/c'd cav wrote:i like the plastic over the aluminum tube , little less heat soak during the summer months
was reffering to the airaid vs spectre design
kevink

Post by kevink »

s/c'd cav wrote:
kevink wrote:
was reffering to the airaid vs spectre design
Gotcha, "over" as in "instead of". I seriously doubt you will notice any change in IATs, though, but just guessing here. There's only about 2.5-3" of aluminum showing when the Spectra is installed. I think my POS Rotofab is more responsible for high IATs in the summer. The thing does not seal to the hood at all. I mean, how could it? The underside of the hood is far from flat, and the gasket on the Rotofab never has hood impressions on it, as if it doesn't touch at all.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

kevink wrote: Gotcha, "over" as in "instead of". I seriously doubt you will notice any change in IATs, though, but just guessing here. There's only about 2.5-3" of aluminum showing when the Spectra is installed. I think my POS Rotofab is more responsible for high IATs in the summer. The thing does not seal to the hood at all. I mean, how could it? The underside of the hood is far from flat, and the gasket on the Rotofab never has hood impressions on it, as if it doesn't touch at all.
maybe a few degrees , i didnt monitor my iat's before putting the rotofab on mine , ive got the SS , with the stock maf the iat doesnt move very quick unless its going HOTTER !! :(

with the summer temp here any little bit helps when the car is sitting still , once the air flow of the motor is up heat soak from parts isnt what people think since moving air tends to not pick up heat from items once is moving faster

yeah the G8 one was designed with having a hood blanket that we didnt get , and im sure the hood line is different between the 2 even if marginal
kevink

Post by kevink »

s/c'd cav wrote:
kevink wrote: once the air flow of the motor is up heat soak from parts isnt what people think since moving air tends to not pick up heat from items once is moving faster
Agreed! I will have to look at some datalogs from the summer. At traffic lights and in traffic, my IATs were pretty high. Supposedly the Rotofab for the Caprice has a higher "shroud" or whatever you want to call it, specifically designed for the Caprice, but it still doesn't seal at all.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

It was easier to buy the air raid attachment? It almost looks like you could have bolted it to the spectre tube. Sorry that was on last page didn't realize thread progressed.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Just to add my findings a few years ago...
http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

kevink wrote: My throttle response is instantaneous with this MAF, but I also have a very good tune (which you will need anyway if you install one). Don't forget to switch the two center wires on the harness! I'm not sure if this would be of any use on a mildly modified or unmodified car, though.
What did you have to "tune" to install that MAF and did you do that at the same time as other mods or by itself? I'm kinda pissed bc I have the parts for this but never installed when I did my cam swap when the tuner I use said that it wasn't needed for my power level and would make the tuning harding to do. What happens if I just throw it on there with no more tuning change?