Gutting a set of G8 GT factory mufflers...

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
Tom Slick

Gutting a set of G8 GT factory mufflers...

Post by Tom Slick »

I finally started gutting a set of factory G8 GT mufflers...

Pulled the fiberglass packing out of the large chamber(one towards the front of the car).

The third chamber still has fiberglass in it... it's much smaller in volume... haven't decided whether or not I'll remove the packing from them, too...

Any thoughts?

Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
storm9c1

Re: Gutting a set of G8 GT factory mufflers...

Post by storm9c1 »

I'd leave some packing. If you remove it all, sometimes you will get weird drones or ringing sounds. It also depends on the overall design of the chambers.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

I'm going to try it with the small chambers still packed... see how it sounds...

Later,
Tom Slick
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

I looked these up on eBay and see that they do not look any different over the Caprice mufflers but dual tips. They have the same "439" number on them, so does that mean they are the exact same mufflers?

I am sure if you do it right they will sound fine, but as noted watch out for drone. Before I had my tips extended on the MagnaFlow G8 mufflers I had some drone, but now that they are correct that is gone. I am glad I did the mod, it makes it sound so much better and you can actually hear it now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The 439 stamped on the muffler case is representative of the material it's made from. Not sure if the flex-fuel option makes a difference (since I don't think G8 was E-85 capable), but 439 stainless steel is designed for harsh environments such as current-technology automotive exhaust systems, and E-85 exhaust is especially harsh, I recall.

http://www.nks.com/439_stainless_steel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There may be little difference in the actual muffler internals--G8 GT vs PPV, except for the tips. Not sure what G8 GXP was like, but we've already seen that the new SS (VF w/LS3) has a nice bark--that's the mufflers I would go after, even though some fabrication work would be needed to make them fit on a PPV. Some may eventually surface as take-offs, since there will be SS owners that won't leave well-enough alone, just like G8 owners.

Ultimately, I think the size/volume of the mufflers on both G8 & PPV has as much to do with AFM 4-cylinder mode (to cancel drone) as anything.
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

The Chevy SS (VF) is not the same system as the Caprice (VE) as seen in this thread over at SS Forums. It does not have the same bolt on mufflers as our cars do, so it would need allot more modification. One could cut off the stock mufflers and use the existing bolt on tubes. But what I do not like is the single pipes, it should be duals like the G8 was.

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/new-2014- ... -here.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I flipped this image around to see it better. Looks like the rear baffles we have after the H-muffler are not on the SS and not the same type of H-muffler (If that is what it is?). Also seems that the front cats are smaller, but that could just be the angle of the picture.

Here is what mine looks like, allot more sound dampening stuff over the SS.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

No, they are not, and I didn't say SS is the "same" as WM/WN (Caprice)--that's why I said some fabrication would be needed, but I'll be surprised if the hangers are so different that they could not be made to work, along with an extension of the tip.

LS3 likely uses larger-diameter piping from manifolds back, too--which has the effect of making the cats look smaller, since they are probably the same case size as used on G8 & PPV.

The section after the H "muffler" you mention missing on SS is more likely a pair of resonators to keep PPV quiet(er). SS gets a less-restrictive system--those 60 additional HP under-hood need the higher flow to breathe!

That would also account for the added sound damping seen on SS, plus PPV price-point didn't allow for as much "comfort" provisions, including making the car quiet(er) inside, even though it may be noisier outside.
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

Bill, I was not saying you were wrong, I was just visualizing to everyone the difference. I am sorry if you misunderstood my comments.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

No apology necessary or expected--I was only clarifying based on what we know, other comments, and pictures you posted.

Is the red car yours?

The SS on the lift is a bit confusing/misleading--noticed that there are no aero panels. What was the origin of that picture?
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Gary, Shouldn't have the drone issue... didn't mess with the J pipe in the mufflers...

Here are the before and after pics... still have to weld the flaps back...

Later,
Tom Slick