Stupid Exhaust Questions

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
chipperdoodles

Stupid Exhaust Questions

Post by chipperdoodles »

This is probably a dumb question but sometimes you just don't know if you don't ask.

I love my car and have been thinking about speccing out practical builds for the future. I was wondering, Is there a way I can free up the exhaust flow but keep the car quiet?

One of the main reasons is I work nights, so i don't want to pull in and wake everyone up in the complex or just attract attention in general. I was considering something like a stock 5th camaro system because I think the pipe diameter is 2.5'' without as many bottlenecks as ours (which i think is 2.25'' with more restriction at certain connections)?

But yeah is there such a thing as an exhaust that flows well but keeps the sound level down or do mufflers that keep things quiet generall negate any benefits from a less restrictive system.
s/c'd cav

Re: Stupid Exhaust Questions

Post by s/c'd cav »

keep the stock mufflers , or find some G8 mufflers , on my old G8 i kept the stock GT mufflers on mine , and had 1 7/8 headers and 3" into 2 1/2" into the stock mufflers , it made some where in the mid 400whp range , ran low 12's high 11's at the track , the factory mufflers dropped the mph a few points and maybe a 1 or 2 tenths on the 1/4 time compared to a straight through muffler
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Was just going to post, find some stock G8 mufflers (NOT GXP). If you do a YT search you can find guys with catted LTs and G8 mufflers and IMO it doesn't seem that loud. I can sympathize with the trying to keep it sane for the neighbor's sake.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

If you are on a low budget, just chopping out the giant center suitcase muffler and associated crap there in the middle and replace with a x pipe or just straight if ur super cheap will give you pretty good benefit as that has the smallest piping on the stock system, I believe it necks down to 1 7/8" inside one part. There is a great thread on using the OEM camaro exhaust parts on here in exhaust section that shows all that. I am not sure why they want you to get stock G8 mufflers as they are not a direct swap, and they will be slightly louder without any actual gain that has been shown. If you want a combo of performance gain and not loud, use the giant stock mufflers and remove the restriction before them, the factory cat pipes and center section is where all that is. I have Camaro c5 stock cat pipes hooked up to a magnaflow x pipe mid muffler and then electric cut outs before the stock PPV mufflers, barely can tell anything is different with them closed and open its almost like I have full length headers and open exhaust.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Stock G8 mufflers suggested under the assumption of eventually putting long tubes on. If the car is 11-13 I believe they are absolutely bolt on, save for the extension of the tips. If car is 14+, then I would think the connection to stock midpipe is different.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

lastcall190 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:24 am Stock G8 mufflers suggested under the assumption of eventually putting long tubes on. If the car is 11-13 I believe they are absolutely bolt on, save for the extension of the tips. If car is 14+, then I would think the connection to stock midpipe is different.

-J

11-17 caprices all use the same muffler , some how the 14-17 got lucky(unlucky in my case) and didnt get the flex clamps , that list for 231.65
chipperdoodles

Post by chipperdoodles »

Thanks guys, I'm probably gonna be looking at a camaro exhausts, 2.5'' or 2.75'' should be fine and I won't have to worry about visual inspection stuff when i'm eventually smogging. I like the z28/ls7 manifolds. But i'll hang onto my mufflers and experiment when/if that day comes. Gotta find a way or time that doesn't break the bank!