Headers or mid pipe first

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
Numbah1

Headers or mid pipe first

Post by Numbah1 »

Hey guys, i want to get my car remapped ASAP. I know on every other forum its asked, but our cars having specificly restrictive exhaust b.c the DoD makes me wonder; should i get headers or catted x pipe before the remap since they cost ~ the same. I read that the LS manifolds are short tube header-esqe and LT dont help low end torque, which is what i want. Is that true? What would yield low-mid range power after a remap for our cars?
Ilikemtb999

Re: Headers or mid pipe first

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

The biggest restriction in our exhaust is directly after the manifold where there’s a flex joint at the flange. It necks down to 1-7/8”. It also necks down to that between the large single muffler and long bullet ones.

I bought 2013 zl1 manifolds and cat pipes that do not have that flex piece in it but are 2.5” the whole way. I’m also picking up a cat back to get rid of the rest of that restriction and will extend and then attach to my stock mufflers. There’s a good thread about it here.

So to answer your question, long tubes will solve the main issue as will new cat pipes. It comes down to cost and how much modification you’d like to do. I don’t think I’d be worried about a loss of low end power as honestly when you’re on the throttle you’re not in low rpms very long if at all.
chipperdoodles

Re: Headers or mid pipe first

Post by chipperdoodles »

Ilikemtb999 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:54 am
I bought 2013 zl1 manifolds and cat pipes that do not have that flex piece in it but are 2.5” the whole way. I’m also picking up a cat back to get rid of the rest of that restriction and will extend and then attach to my stock mufflers. There’s a good thread about it here.
Not to hijack the thread but this is exactly what i want to do someday, let me know how it goes