No fuel, won't start.

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
ABrandenburg

No fuel, won't start.

Post by ABrandenburg »

Hey guys,

I ran to the post office to mail something and came out to a no start. The car turns over and feels like it attempts to start several times per cycle but won't fire up. Is there a fuel relay or fuse I should look at before I assume the need to replace a fuel pump? I've gotta figure out how to get the car home and then I'll start tearing into it to figure out whats going on. Thanks for any help guys.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: No fuel, won't start.

Post by smwalker »

How many miles on your car?

There is a pretty common problem we have seen with high duty cars and that is the ground on the connector going to the fuel pump gets hot and corroded. See if I can find a thread for you.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Here is the thread. problem is you have to lower the tank of cut an access hole to check the connector:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3347&sid=a29e56de9 ... 156#p25730

Also what year you have?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

If you get a hold of decent scan tool, it will show the fuel pressure. If you can get the car to a place that it is quiet, you can usually hear the pump run for a few seconds when you turn the key on.

David
ABrandenburg

Post by ABrandenburg »

Sorry been busy with work and finally got a chance to post. I was able to get the car to start, barely and drove it straight home. Once home I cut the access hole under the rear seat and looked first at the connector. There were no signs of a grounding issue with burnt connectors like are seen in the pictures, so I cleaned everything up as best as I could, smothered it with dielectric grease and put it back together. Since then it has been running/starting up without issue, but I plan on ordering the fuel pump to have on hand for its eventual death.
ABrandenburg

Post by ABrandenburg »

smwalker, I have a 2011 9C1. I'm at 130k on the odometer, but have already run into other electrical gremlins so not too surprised to find new ones :x