Vararam Intake

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
snoogans63

Re: Vararam Intake

Post by snoogans63 »

I have a 2014 9c1 with multiple mods. The Vararam Intake and Jet MAF. No mod bolt on for both. Picked up my average fuel economy 2-5 mpg over the last thousand miles. IDK about horsepower gains yet, I know there is a jump "feels like 25-30 with new NGK plugs, large race wires, high power coil packs and a 160f thermostat." I am planning on taking it to a tuner next month so we can dyno it and do a full flash. I wish I could buy a new 2014 CPU for the car that is already flashed with me sending my CPU back as a swap. It is 100% worth the money.
Dexter Black
“How happy is the blameless vestal’s lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray’r accepted, and each wish resign’d”
― Alexander Pope
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome Dexter! When your car is tuned properly you'll love it even more. It was faster then a B-body by far before I tuned it, but the tune and my 3.45 gear swap made it all that much more worthwhile!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Dexter can you post up some pics of the intake?
snoogans63

Post by snoogans63 »

Here is one the day I installed it. It started raining before I could install the other upgrades.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 17197 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 17197 times
Dexter Black
― Alexander Pope
brenard

Post by brenard »

Nice. Pls post a video when you can. I'm curious about the sound of the VR intake.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

So I'm assuming you're using this part:

Ram Air for G8/GXP/Holden

?

If so, once installed, does the radiator stay in it's original location, just using part of the intake as the upper mount, or is the radiator 'laid back' like other systems do? I'm concerned that with laying back the radiator, you're putting twisting forces on the plastic bits of the radiator and changing the routing of the hoses ever so slightly, but putting point stresses on those parts that can only lead to heartache down the road. Thanks for any info.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

CrashTestDummy wrote: If so, once installed, does the radiator stay in it's original location, just using part of the intake as the upper mount, or is the radiator 'laid back' like other systems do? I'm concerned that with laying back the radiator, you're putting twisting forces on the plastic bits of the radiator and changing the routing of the hoses ever so slightly, but putting point stresses on those parts that can only lead to heartache down the road. Thanks for any info.
The "Ram Air" brand is not what he used here, I did that install in my other thread here...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They would appear similar OTR style though and do use a different top bracket part which is longer and pushes the top of the radiator only back another 1 1/2". Theres a pretty good pic of the gap before the intake mouth goes in it in there. The bottom stays in the factory mount which is the newer style rubber mounted pin on bottom of radiator style so that its able to move around and absorb vibration etc. Yes the top most hoses etc are moved around a bit but I don't see how anything looks stressed and i was worried about that when installing, however i was easily able to push the whole top portion way farther towards the engine that was required with the new mounts so i think everything has plenty of wiggle room as designed.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I want to know about the JET MAF replacement and if anyone has looked at this
http://www.amazon.com/Airaid-9641-Mass- ... 0T02PBXFJJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and using a LS7 type MAF both of which can be tuned for better throttle response supposedly.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Actually, Dexter DID use ONE of the VaraRam intakes, you can see the decal in his pictures above. I checked the install instructions for the G8/GTO/Holden kit, and while it did indicate that the base of the intake replaced the upper radiator mount, it was unclear to me whether you had to push the top of the radiator back, and if it stayed in that position, or not. I'd really rather not do that, because I'm concerned of the long term effects of having the radiator and hoses tilted back more than the factory mounts allow. Thank you.
xcidmigs wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote: If so, once installed, does the radiator stay in it's original location, just using part of the intake as the upper mount, or is the radiator 'laid back' like other systems do? I'm concerned that with laying back the radiator, you're putting twisting forces on the plastic bits of the radiator and changing the routing of the hoses ever so slightly, but putting point stresses on those parts that can only lead to heartache down the road. Thanks for any info.
The "Ram Air" brand is not what he used here, I did that install in my other thread here...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They would appear similar OTR style though and do use a different top bracket part which is longer and pushes the top of the radiator only back another 1 1/2". Theres a pretty good pic of the gap before the intake mouth goes in it in there. The bottom stays in the factory mount which is the newer style rubber mounted pin on bottom of radiator style so that its able to move around and absorb vibration etc. Yes the top most hoses etc are moved around a bit but I don't see how anything looks stressed and i was worried about that when installing, however i was easily able to push the whole top portion way farther towards the engine that was required with the new mounts so i think everything has plenty of wiggle room as designed.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
snoogans63

Post by snoogans63 »

I never moved my radiator...? Still works great I would not mind laying the radiator back a few degrees to pick up power there won't be a problem with twisting if you fabricate brackets. In our late model stock cars a few have laid back radiators with no issues.
Dexter Black
― Alexander Pope