Vararam Intake

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Vararam Intake

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Thanks, Dexter, that's good to know. Yeah, a laid back radiator would be fine IFF you had the proper mounts top and bottom. You'd probably also want to trim the hoses to fit better, too. The plastic and aluminum radiators they use these days don't like to twist much. A few hundred heat cycles down the road, and you're looking at a wet spot under the front of the car.

So it was their GTO/G8/Holden kit? Thanks.

And what did the MAF do for you? Is it a larger ID? Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I still can't see what the issue would be with doing the radiator movement? These are the replacement brackets (next to stock in first pic) used on my RAMAIR brand version which moves the top mounting point back toward engine about 2.5". You can see the top large hose is the only one really affected and it has a factory section which could be loosened and twisted if you feel like there is some issue with it, mine has not been touched. All the other lines attached to the radiator are hardlines that mount to the radiator with clamps and have a flexible portion in the lower area only. The whole unit of radiator, AC condensor fans etc is very rigid and does not "flex" at all.
Attachments
IMG_2040.JPG
IMG_2040.JPG (105.07 KiB) Viewed 16549 times
IMG_2041.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG (103.05 KiB) Viewed 16549 times
IMG_2042.JPG
IMG_2042.JPG (100.94 KiB) Viewed 16549 times
IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG (85.64 KiB) Viewed 16549 times
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Actually, there IS some twisting at the bottom of the radiator, if you have done nothing down there. The radiator itself probably twisted very little, but there is a pressure on the bottom tank, just the same. I've seen radiators pop with less than 1/2" of variation between the upper left, and lower right corners (my 95 9C1, specifically), cracking the tank. Yes, it took years, but happened just the same.

Next time I get out to the shop, I'll have to have a look to see just how bad I think it is when the top of the radiator is laid back 2.5". It might not be that severe, or might be greatly-relieved by picking the radiator assembly up a bit and repositioning it on it's lower mounts.

Probably minor, I'm thinking the change in angle is probably a couple of degrees, but it is a concern of mine, and something I'll take into consideration as I think of the replacement air intake assembly to go with. Thank you for the information, that's VERY helpful.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

you realize the lower mounts are the kind that use a pin inserted into a rubber grommet right? very similar to the top ones I have shown. I did when i had the top removed pull the whole assembly up out of them to see how it was mounted then after reinserting pushed the whole thing back towards the engine much farther than was required to use the new top mounts just to see. There is no flexing of the radiator or other parts going on when you do that, the lower pin just changes the angle its inserted into that bushing somewhat, if anyone would break i would suspect that pin could on someone who has alot of corrosion or drying of the rubber perhaps from a southern car. Again I can't see any issues developing here with this minor tweaking.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

THAT, I did not know. I'll be under the hood to look at things today. Thanks for the information!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
offutt0311

Post by offutt0311 »

hjm003 wrote:I installed a Varam intake. Love it. lots more noise coming from the intake though. Strange design. It bolted right up after a little bit of soap was used to slide the intake on. It kinda messed with me that the intake is supporting the radiator but its holding up so far. Its not moving anywhere.

Never disconnected batts. Engine lights never came on. Car hauls ass. I do have some magnaflow mufflers on and noticed a very small amount of sound increase. Those guys from Houston treated me with respect and could not have been nicer. God Bless Texas.

Over all summary: seat of the ass dyno said their power claims are true. Car is far more beastly. Worth the $$.
I agree 100 percent with this. I used the old school G8 GT VaraRam that I picked up off of a buddy. I just had to pay the $26 for the install stuff he lost. THIS KIT WILL FIT a 2012. All I had to do was massage everything really well, talk really sweet to the car, sprinkle a little fairy dust, and trim a small plastic tab on the radiator support...lol. It looks great, sounds great, and hauls ass!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Do you guys have any road-trip mileage to report after the installs? Just curious, and I know that the better sound can result in you going deep into the throttle just to hear it. :mrgreen: I think that's why my wife now gets low-14's mileage out of her Tahoe PPV after the Air Raid install.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
offutt0311

Post by offutt0311 »

offutt0311 wrote:
hjm003 wrote:I installed a Varam intake. Love it. lots more noise coming from the intake though. Strange design. It bolted right up after a little bit of soap was used to slide the intake on. It kinda messed with me that the intake is supporting the radiator but its holding up so far. Its not moving anywhere.

Never disconnected batts. Engine lights never came on. Car hauls ass. I do have some magnaflow mufflers on and noticed a very small amount of sound increase. Those guys from Houston treated me with respect and could not have been nicer. God Bless Texas.

Over all summary: seat of the ass dyno said their power claims are true. Car is far more beastly. Worth the $$.
I agree 100 percent with this. I used the old school G8 GT VaraRam that I picked up off of a buddy. I just had to pay the $26 for the install stuff he lost. THIS KIT WILL FIT a 2012. All I had to do was massage everything really well, talk really sweet to the car, sprinkle a little fairy dust, and trim a small plastic tab on the radiator support...lol. It looks great, sounds great, and hauls ass!
Although, I will admit I had a check engine light for about 10 miles, even after following the relearn procedure. The curr for this was to take it out and drive it like I stole it while roasting a few cars for about 10-15 mins. Started it up the next morning and it has been off every since then. As far as mileage goes, seems pretty good if I could stop driving like a pissed off teenager everywhere i go lol. I'm going to Wilmington, NC eventually. I'll record mileage then! Hate to give you any in town numbers until I learn to behave, but I can say that this is the single biggest difference I've ever noticed from a cold/ram air.... and I've owned a lot of vehicles from different manufacturers!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

It will be interesting to see. We have a Ram-It Ram Air system on our 95 SS, and with it, and a cat-back SLP exhaust system, we get high-20's MPG (~26 MPG on one trip) on the highway at speeds between 70-85. I don't expect a drop in MPG with this system, but it would be interesting to see. Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
offutt0311

Post by offutt0311 »

CrashTestDummy wrote:It will be interesting to see. We have a Ram-It Ram Air system on our 95 SS, and with it, and a cat-back SLP exhaust system, we get high-20's MPG (~26 MPG on one trip) on the highway at speeds between 70-85. I don't expect a drop in MPG with this system, but it would be interesting to see. Thanks.
Ever get your lights in Gene? Not to highjack a thread lol