Stainless Works header development update

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
SW Exhaust

Stainless Works header development update

Post by SW Exhaust »

Well guys we have secured a new SS here in Ohio and it will be here in our R&D dept once the new C7 Corvette system is finished. We are shooting for retaining the cooler so the the Caprice PPV guys will be able to use our header as well.

In theory our new SS/PPV header should also work on the G8's w/o coolers, but we will test fit them on a local G8 once they are developed.
Rich M.
Stainless Works Performance Exhaust
800-878-3635
http://www.stainlessworks.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Stainless Works header development update

Post by elc32955 »

Very good. Thanks for keeping us updated. I know Maurice (Pursuit) has also been discussing Caprice fitment with you, let's hope all goes well.....

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Thanks, Rich - the "race is on" to get this done, and I have to let everyone on this board know that Stainless Works has stepped up to the plate, where others (header makers) have gotten by largely with lip-service. Having an advocate actively posting and keeping the SS and PPV owner boards informed should pay off positively for SW in the end.

Background - SS Forum:

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/new-2014- ... haust.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SW Exhaust

Post by SW Exhaust »

elc32955 wrote:Very good. Thanks for keeping us updated. I know Maurice (Pursuit) has also been discussing Caprice fitment with you, let's hope all goes well.....
Yes, Maurice & I have talked via phone......
Navy Lifer wrote:Thanks, Rich - the "race is on" to get this done, and I have to let everyone on this board know that Stainless Works has stepped up to the plate, where others (header makers) have gotten by largely with lip-service. Having an advocate actively posting and keeping the SS and PPV owner boards informed should pay off positively for SW in the end.
I appreciate the comment....... I can't wait to get that Red SS here to start.....
Rich M.
800-878-3635
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hey Rich! If this works out in R & D, I take a driving trip to Ohio every May for a trade show that's located in Dayton. It'd be a simple matter for me to take a detour and stop in to see you guys... don't know if you'd have product by then but it's something to look forward to.

Also I'm going to set you up a vendor sub-board so you can discuss product offerings, etc.. and advertise there when you're ready.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
SW Exhaust

Post by SW Exhaust »

Hey guys...... Tom H's new SS got here about 30 minutes ago...... it looks gorgeous!

I'll keep you guys posted!
Rich M.
800-878-3635
SW Exhaust

Post by SW Exhaust »

Rich M.
800-878-3635
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Rich, considering that the wheelbase and muffler hanger to bumper cover dimensions (for tip positioning) are the primary differences in SS and PPV, is there a plan to create a separate flanged axle-back kit for PPV? Since the SS uses a different joint design for connecting the muffler to the mid-pipe unit, and if you have not yet had a PPV in for evaluation, I hope that it will be possible to do that while the SS is there so a plan for production can take the differences into consideration when finalizing the system configuration for each of these cars. A common design, to the greatest extent possible, would help with making the decisions as far as what the offerings can/will be for each application.

The PPV presents a bit of a challenge just by virtue of the relatively small number of cars that are civilian-owned at this point (but is constantly changing)--granted, the SS is certainly not high-volume (and I really don't know the total number of G8's that made it here before the tap was turned off), so it's understandable that there may be some limits to what SW ends up offering "just for PPV".

The further complication that should concern everyone (and previously mentioned) is what impact on cabin comfort will be with a performance exhaust and AFM still functional--not an issue with the SS, but very much so for PPV. 4-cylinder mode can cause some significant unpleasantness, and it needs to be addressed in the process.
SW Exhaust

Post by SW Exhaust »

Out with the old......

Sneak peak:

I wish I had a PPV in the area.... found one in Pittsburgh, but the owner does not want to mod it....
Rich M.
800-878-3635
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The first photo in the update shows the "mid pipe" assembly for the SS - GM calls it a muffler - can you guess at the function of the components that are welded into that section of pipe?

I have noted the SS also uses a crossover, which I do not believe is part of the same PPV assembly, and it's clear the PPV has the components re-arranged--the "box" is ahead of the 2 smaller inline parts, which I'm assuming are resonators on PPV--not sure what the parts are on the SS piping, as they almost look more like some sort of secondary catalytic converter. I do see it is SW's intention to do a tangential X crossover, which is fine.

I can also tell you this--engine specs aside (LS3 on SS vs L77 on PPV) that the SS system WITH the mufflers removed and mid-pipe/muffler still in place is significantly louder than the PPV system WITH the mufflers removed and mid-pipe/muffler assembly in place.

I don't assume anything by this as far as the PPV having a more restrictive flow path, but one does have to wonder to what degree the reduced sound level of the PPV is in some way related to a more restrictive internal design for the PPV vs SS.

Put another way, installing SS mufflers on a PPV (a bit of a "frankenstein" exercise--just mocked up but not fully done yet) does raise the sound level, but it has significantly less "bark" than the full SS system. It actually sounds nice, and better than stock SS system, but still quite "reserved" overall.

I'm just wondering if SW has a flow bench that would allow a test of the 2 versions (SS vs PPV) to determine what may be different in the flow numbers.

Here's a question: in the process of development, are pre-work emissions checked, and once SW completes a system, is the vehicle tested again to validate emissions performance? Granted, unless a full header and custom cat setup, or cat delete is an option, we're talking about a system configured as a "cat-back" only....and I was curious about any effort made to maintain emission system performance.