Stainless Works header development update

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
IDLife Caprice

Re: Stainless Works header development update

Post by IDLife Caprice »

I just spoke to Chris at Stainless Works and true issue with having a header/exhaust system developed for our car is both TIME & MONEY.

If we could get 10 people to commit to a pre-sale of these systems, then pulling the trigger on the R&D necessary to make it work would be justified. In fact, if we could get just Five people to put a deposit down, I would be willing to give my car to Chris for the month it would take to build the prototype system. This is quite an undertaking to do since these cars are so few in production.

There is no doubt the power level of my car will see a huge gain once my LS2 is built without the DOD and the Texas Speed cam... the question is, how many people will commit to stepping up with a check..?
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

Unless they plan to redesign the muffler to eliminate the drone I have at 2k rpm, I don't think there is any advantage to having them design a full kit vs. what I did. Just get the SS headers and axel back section of the exhaust and fabricate the rest.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
IDLife Caprice

Post by IDLife Caprice »

GTObert wrote:Unless they plan to redesign the muffler to eliminate the drone I have at 2k rpm, I don't think there is any advantage to having them design a full kit vs. what I did. Just get the SS headers and axel back section of the exhaust and fabricate the rest.
Change the gear if it becomes an issue. LOL!!

Drone is caused a lot of the time by an exhaust system having colliding pulses. Having a good scavenge with an X-Pipe and plenty of chamber space will eliminate drone. I have the SW Headers on a C63 making over 575whp N/A and it has no drone using Magnaflow Mufflers. I will most likely use the Magnaflows on this car.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I'd be interested. I have SW swap headers on our LS-powered 3rd Gen Firebird. While they hang down lower than I'd like (already scraped them on the pavement), they ARE a quality kit.

3" full system to fit the Caprice, I'd be quite interested in. Estimated prices?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

So it looks like just two people are interested? Dang!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

What are they estimating on a per vehicle cost complete and what do they want for a deposit to begin the work? Those are expensive systems we're looking at, love nice stainless systems but no one gets my blank check. Bring a few numbers in dollars & cents to the front and you may have more interest.....

This is basically the same type situation we ran into with Clear Image and their Tri-Y header product a year or two ago trying to get headers engineered. The smaller companies can't or don't want to front the R&D cost for potentially small return depending on how many people order systems, so we end up struggling to make a minimum order commitment to start the R&D process. Kooks blew smoke at me at PRI a few years ago.... then stopped returning calls. We're a small market >for the time being< since the vehicles in police service aren't being modded yet. When they start to hit the public auctions heavily we may see more interest since there's over 12,000 + Caprices in circulation right now in the US.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Probably, but will the manufacturers have any interest, or be out chasing the 'next shiny car'? I'll probably be working on the intake side of things, and the suspension, for now, but am eager and willing to purchase a complete kit, should one become available.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

If they did make a kit I'm thinking it would cost the same as the kit for the SS, maybe more. They want $2400 for the works on the SS. I have about $3000 into my system, and that includes complete installation labor. Plus mine is welded, not clamped.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I'd prefer clamped anyway, so I'm fine with that. It's really annoying when you try to take a car to a muffler shop for work, they almost refuse to do the work when you mention you want it clamped together for easy removal.

I'd pay that much for a complete system. Knowing how well LS* engines respond to headers and free-flowing exhaust systems makes it very much worth it. Being stainless, I'd never have to replace it, either, so there's value added there, too.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?