Supercharger and other pressurized options for LS

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Supercharger and other pressurized options for LS

Post by Navy Lifer »

One of the things "we" (myself included) are not paying closer attention to in our postings is a tendency to ramble in a single thread into multiple topics, to the point we suddenly find the discussion has gone off on a tangent to an area totally unrelated to the original topic or intention of the OP. Some times, the OP posts in a topic section that was not the best place for that discussion to begin with. I'm not saying this to put anyone on notice, or to make an example of anyone who is posting in this specific thread--no harm meant, just hoping to get everyone thinking about whether something is in the best section for the topic to reside for the long term--there are many "pieces" of good information on specific topics already, in the short life of the New Caprice Forum, but many of them are scattered and not so easy to find at times, because the discussion has these pieces buried in another subject or different section than where it would most logically be.

That said--off soapbox--I've taken a question from one recent thread and opened a new thread--some could even argue it should be in the "L77 engine" section, but at least this is better than leaving it in the General Discussion section.

rjimpala posed a question in response to one of Leadfart's patented "Maggie is magic" quips:

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 0a33#p3464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rjimpala wrote:How much does a Maggie cost and why choose a Maggie?
So to kick this off, I'll just say that forced induction is an option that always provides more power and (potentially) more fun--at a price, as there's no free lunch here. I have no data points as far as price, so I leave any specifics to Bob or others, but the "why" of a Maggie (Magnuson Products) Magnacharger is that the packaging/integration of a power-adder in today's vehicles, many with limited space in the engine compartment already, is something that is much more than a DIY at home proposition.

On top of that, the technology of the supercharger itself--in this case--is a derivation/adaptation of the Eaton twin-screw design, in use by OEM's over the years, from V6 T-birds to Buick 3.8 (and a few others) to current iterations of the GM LS engine family--LS9, LSA, and now LT4, has come about to respond to the limited space conditions in many vehicles today, and to provide OEM-level reliability and warrantability.

Magnuson made a market that didn't really seem reachable to many, by creating packages around the base Eaton OEM supercharger technology and then put together systems for vehicles that the OEM's were not intending to or interested in providing a production "pressurized" engine option for...such as pickup trucks and less common applications like LS-powered sedans....GM felt that if the customer wanted that, they should go to the Cadillac dealership and get the CTS-V.

There are probably other manufacturers/suppliers who can offer alternatives--ProCharger, as an example--that would provide a similar "thrill" when the go-pedal is pushed down. The Magnuson concept focuses on OE-level integration and reliability, OE-level drivability, and in making every effort to have the nature of their product to be as benign as possible in everyday use--quietness that is equal to OEM standards, for instance.

http://www.magnacharger.com/t-about.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see that Bob has already responded to your question--so, welcome to the Leadfart Playground!
leadfart

Re: Supercharger and other pressurized options for LS

Post by leadfart »

I'm so sorry Bill, I'll try to play better. :cry:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Bob, it's not specifically you creating any real problem--you're "playing" is fine, and helps keep things light-hearted!

I just wanted to suggest that we all think about what is the right place to post information so it's most easily accessed in the future.

As for the subject of supercharging, you're the one guy with real-world experience with the PPV under pressure. I'm sure the others here, while not necessarily on board with the idea, from the standpoint of what it does (or doesn't) do to warranty, cost of the system, and any other downside issues that need to be understood, which you could be very helpful in improving everyone's knowledge on the topic--the upside is obvious, and that needs to be part of the take-away for anyone who reads this thread. There are plenty G8 & Camaro owners who've already plowed this ground, so to speak, but having our own Subject Matter Expert on the topic is a good thing. All smiles here! :) ;) :mrgreen:
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

I have a Prochager on its way to my house as we speak.
Ill let you guys know how it goes as they do not make a "direct fit" for our cars. That being said if you're boosting you have 3 options turbo, procharger, or maggie, in order of price. Or maggie, procharger, turbo in order of ease of install. There's many reasons why one is better than the others, and then there's personal preference. I went procharger because it will have the most power potential at a given level of boost, and I spend way too much on my exhaust to ditch it for a turbo. While the maggie is the easiest to put on, it the most expensive and the will have the hottest intake temps. Turbos being run off the exhaust will raise the air temperature but that's what an intercooler is for. While instand boost with a maggie is cool, it's hell on your drivetrain....assuming you can hook up. that's my piece on the subject.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
Solardude

Post by Solardude »

What size procharger did you get? Congrats. I have a year or so before my car goes under the knife. Can't wait for the same feeling as driving the GTO.
05 Pontiac GTO Torrid Red A4 w/red int, Procharger p1sc, Pacesetter Coated Headers,Aeroforce Gauges, H-pipe, DMH cutouts, Staggered Stern 18''s, Lots of Pedders/Lovells/Whiteline stuff. Tuned by Mike Norris

12 Chevy Caprice PPV 9c1 HSV Pentagon Replica 20''s, H&R Springs, HSV GTS Steering Wheel, Solo axle back, VCM Intake
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

i went with the D1 and three core intercooler. really hoping to see mid 500s rwhp.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue