Stainless Works Chevy SS header/exhaust in progress!

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
Gerome

Re: Stainless Works Chevy SS header/exhaust in progress!

Post by Gerome »

Looking forward to the video ! The pics are nice but a video is priceless .
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

SW Exhaust wrote:Well guys I am VERY excited to say that the revised Cat Back system sounds amazing inside and outside the car!!!!

It sounds great from start up through all 6 gears under normal throttle.... even in 6th going up a grade with a load on the car. From a rolling start or dead stop under lets say "hard throttle" it just sings! At highway cruising speed.... beautiful.
To be clear, this is the system on an SS, with LS3 and no AFM (4 cylinder mode).

I really do believe the Caprice L77 with AFM is going to present a different challenge, based on what I'm experiencing with the SS mufflers on my car now.

Killing AFM is one approach, but I believe any effort to create a system (it may be more complex than just a change in muffler design) that doesn't remind the driver what mode the car is in with each shift from standard to AFM "engaged" will be a true challenge.

Maybe the answer will be an *asterisk* for the PPV systems - NOTE: *buyer be aware that 4-cylinder mode with active AFM can create resonance or drone", or by way of some sort of tunable "J" pipe as found on the Solo exhaust systems.

One thing I would be curious about is the use of flapper valves (like in Dynomax VT mufflers) or inline "adaptive" valves as used on L99 engine in Camaro to address this problem.

Photos of the adaptive valves can be viewed in this post: http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 4919#p3806" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SW Exhaust

Post by SW Exhaust »

Pursuit wrote:Just my two cents worth. I personally will appreciate a more civilized sounding system. My B4C Camaro and 84 Bonneville are on the loud side.
Keep up the good work, Rich!

Later,
Maurice

Thats what we were aiming for and I personally think we nailed it......
Rich M.
Stainless Works Performance Exhaust
800-878-3635
http://www.stainlessworks.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SW Exhaust

Post by SW Exhaust »

Here you go guys......this is Cat-Back only!

Chevy SS Exhaust Teaser - YouTube

:cool:
Rich M.
Stainless Works Performance Exhaust
800-878-3635
http://www.stainlessworks.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Nice!

Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Second that motion. Sounds darned good!
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

elc32955 wrote:Second that motion. Sounds darned good!
X2
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

So what does it take to get this system on a Caprice?
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

GTObert,
I have been in communication with S/W for a while now. I have an R&D fitment arrangement with them, once I have the time to do it. I am willing to remove my manifolds to test fit the headers and then send back the headers. Just to prove fitment to S/W and to our group. I would suggest calling S/W and ask for Chris. He has been my latest contact. 1-800-878-3635. The PPV exhaust originally used an extended version of the G8, with a two bolt flange at the flex joint behind the IRS to attach the mufflers. The S/W muffler/tailpipe for the SS is shorter than the muffler/tailpipe for the PPV. I believe that the PPV is a longer wheel base and has more trunk overhang than the SS.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

Well that sounds pretty good. If the car is just a bit longer it should be no big deal to just cut the pipe longer and call it a day. It may even be possible to purchase the SS kit and have an exhaust shop custom up the difference. The only other issue I can think of might be hanger locations, which can be custom fabbed as well. I did call SW earlier today and I was told that in about 3 months they plan to have a Caprice in their shop to do some testing. I'm not sure if the guy was referring to your car pr not, but he didn't say anything about mailing parts. I really want a system from these guys as I love the one on my goat. There's no better sound in the world to me!
2011 9C1
2005 GTO