New pipes

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
20139c1

New pipes

Post by 20139c1 »

I just had all new exhaust done for my '13 Caprice. Replaced everything from the manifold back with 2.5, X-pipe and 40 series Flowmasters. Cats were removed and I am surprised there are no CEL.
Do I need to have it tuned?
GammaFlat

Re: New pipes

Post by GammaFlat »

I am a tuning newbie but I'm going to say yes. I believe you will be a bit lean at times.
Please tell us more about your exhaust. Did you have it bent at a shop? Was it a packaged system? Are you without cats?
If you don't have cats, you will certainly throw codes (unless "tuned out"). The pre and post cat O2 sensors will report that there's no difference between them and that ends up throwing a code.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
20139c1

Re: New pipes

Post by 20139c1 »

This is an all new custom bent system. Not a kit.
The flex joint between my exhaust manifold and the cat was cracked. This flex joint has a sleeve inside with a diameter of less than 2".
I had all of that removed and new pipes starting right at the exhaust manifolds eliminating that joint and the cat. From the headpipes to an "X" pipe and on to Flowmaster 40 series at the back where the stock mufflers would have been.
Both sets of o2 bungs and the sensors were installed but without the cats which is why I expected to see a code.