Kooks 2014 SS system install on 2012 9c1

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
BIG_GREEK

Re: Kooks 2014 SS system install on 2012 9c1

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Why haven't I seen this? My plans for this car wasn't really toward exhaust (wanted to keep it stock), but maybe add an electric cutout.

After seeing this... :shock:
Now I did go onto Maryland Speed's website, I see they sell shorty headers for it too. Would they fit without oil cooler removal?
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

BIG_GREEK wrote:Why haven't I seen this? My plans for this car wasn't really toward exhaust (wanted to keep it stock), but maybe add an electric cutout.

After seeing this... :shock:
Now I did go onto Maryland Speed's website, I see they sell shorty headers for it too. Would they fit without oil cooler removal?
The shorty headers you are referring to are probably the JBA. If so, they reuse the stock downpipe (the one with the cat converter) so yes it should clear the cooler.

Any header system made for the Chevy SS will clear the cooler. Systems intended for the G8 may not clear depending on the design (usually doesn't from what I've seen) although the new TSP G8 system about to be released shows promise from the pictures.

I'm still waiting for my Kooks and race cat mid-pipe.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Yes, they JBA ones are listed. I just want to keep most of the exhaust stock, but if I do recall, the factory manifolds are the most restrictive in the entire system and tie up a lot of hp.

Would the shorty headers bolted to the factory exhaust make much of a difference? Maybe continue with the idea of having decent electric cutouts for when I feel spirited?

Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

I did a Camaro SS exhaust swap a few years back and measured the restrictions in the Caprice PPV exhaust. See this link:
http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=121" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I replaced the Caprice exhaust manifolds and cats with the Camaro manifolds (same manifold as the Caprice) and the four Camaro cats. The Camaro system is 2 1/2" all the way back. I have since swapped to the ZL1 system with the bi-modal mufflers.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

IDK why no one reads that above thread its excellent info about the stock and other exhaust system, and the OEM caprice manifolds are EXACTLY the same as the ones that come on any LS3 car including 1LE and I believe CTS-v. Yes its cast iron but has a true 2.5" diameter exit and its been repeatedly shows that dual 2.5" exhaust can handle up to 500 HP without being a major restriction depending on bends, mufflers etc. Those shorty headers will do a lot of nothing for you with the rest of your stock caprice piping in place. Much better investment would be a catback exhaust either the cheapo Camaro version like the thread shows or any aftermarket. I decided to make a hybrid of mine with the Camaro cat pipes and suitcase delete which feeds into my OEM caprice mufflers, yes they are the restriction I just wanted the stockish sound for now with better flow.
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Yea, because i was curious on how these manifolds hold back that much power. Once I saw that post and the measurements of the stock exhaust, I can only wonder why the engineers thought it was a good idea to put 2 1/4" exhaust with 1 7/8" bits on a v8 car... beats my 3 aces.