Header Questions

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
offutt0311

Re: Header Questions

Post by offutt0311 »

CrashTestDummy wrote:But don't the Chevy SS headers fit WITH the cooler?!? The rest you have to rig up, but you keep the cooler. That's my plan, anyway.
The Kook's and other brands are just too far out of my price range at the moment! Lol
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

offutt0311 wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote:But don't the Chevy SS headers fit WITH the cooler?!? The rest you have to rig up, but you keep the cooler. That's my plan, anyway.
The Kook's and other brands are just too far out of my price range at the moment! Lol
That being the case, do you think it's really necessary to spend the money on exhaust until you CAN afford to do it properly?

LS3 is 426 HP with manifolds

LS7 is 500 HP with stock manifolds--granted, they're more header-like.

Is a set of headers of ANY type really beneficial to the extent that it's worth spending that money if you have to give up something else that's beneficial, like the oil cooler?

Just seems smarter to save up for the proper stuff than to spend money now that would be better spent later, getting the right fitment.

Serious question--no "lol" here.
offutt0311

Post by offutt0311 »

Navy Lifer wrote:
offutt0311 wrote:
That being the case, do you think it's really necessary to spend the money on exhaust until you CAN afford to do it properly?

LS3 is 426 HP with manifolds

LS7 is 500 HP with stock manifolds--granted, they're more header-like.

Is a set of headers of ANY type really beneficial to the extent that it's worth spending that money if you have to give up something else that's beneficial, like the oil cooler?

Just seems smarter to save up for the proper stuff than to spend money now that would be better spent later, getting the right fitment.

Serious question--no "lol" here.
So, I've heard the Tahoe cooler can be used with the Pace Setters and other headers. Can someone elaborate?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The Tahoe oil cooler is also oil-to-water, but the exchanger is in the radiator, so no, it won't work as-is. You might be able, though, to grab the mounting plate, and the lines, and use that, as it is very close to the side of the block. At the end of the lines, where the flex lines are crimped to them, you can probably cut them and adapt AN fittings to run your own oil cooling lines to a cooler up front, or even behind the radiator.

There has been some discussion in another thread on how effective this conversion might be, and where you'd put the cooler itself. While I think the block mount and lines are a viable option, there's still some work needed to figure out the other end.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

It seems to me that people are talking about doing a lot of work and spending an amount of money that nearly equals the cost of just buying SS headers. Is it really worth it to doall these modifications to your factory oil cooler?
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
offutt0311

Post by offutt0311 »

GTObert wrote:It seems to me that people are talking about doing a lot of work and spending an amount of money that nearly equals the cost of just buying SS headers. Is it really worth it to doall these modifications to your factory oil cooler?

In my situation....yes. I will build a full 3" exhaust with a true H or X pipe with Long Tubes, 3" high flow catzs, and Pro Flo mufflers for what some of you guys have spent on just headers. For the time being i will block the cooler, however when I get my next bonus at work I will adapt it to all braided house with AN fittings and relocate it. Then I will have a rocking set up on a major discounted budget. I do see what you are saying though, and agree that going with the Kooks is the best bet if you can afford them sir!
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

lol I just checked out the Kooks and they're only $900! I spent $1250 on my Stainless Works headers. I like the way it sounds though. Good luck with your project. I'd like to see pictures of your oil cooler when it's done.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
offutt0311

Post by offutt0311 »

GTObert wrote:lol I just checked out the Kooks and they're only $900! I spent $1250 on my Stainless Works headers. I like the way it sounds though. Good luck with your project. I'd like to see pictures of your oil cooler when it's done.
Well I still have to get the car here from Kentucky, but my Pace Setter headers are only $230, Flo Pro Super V's are like $100, high flow 3" cats are $110 and then my boy will bend and run all the 3" from header to back. I'm a bargain shopper lol!
IDLife Caprice

Post by IDLife Caprice »

offutt0311 wrote:
GTObert wrote:lol I just checked out the Kooks and they're only $900! I spent $1250 on my Stainless Works headers. I like the way it sounds though. Good luck with your project. I'd like to see pictures of your oil cooler when it's done.
Well I still have to get the car here from Kentucky, but my Pace Setter headers are only $230, Flo Pro Super V's are like $100, high flow 3" cats are $110 and then my boy will bend and run all the 3" from header to back. I'm a bargain shopper lol!

Adrian, have you still not booked a transport for your car yet? I will be driving back through that way and could possibly pick it up. Call me.
offutt0311

Post by offutt0311 »

IDLife Caprice wrote:
offutt0311 wrote:

Adrian, have you still not booked a transport for your car yet? I will be driving back through that way and could possibly pick it up. Call me.
Hey buddy, I actually got a hell of a deal on a drive-away service. $500 for 1,000 mile trip. It is being picked up at 8:30 central time tomorrow morning!