Draining gas tank

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
FRANK O'D

Draining gas tank

Post by FRANK O'D »

Anyone know how to drain the gas tank on a 13 ppv? Thanks.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Draining gas tank

Post by smwalker »

Two methods. Need a special tool to keep the flapper open for one. Not sure if just could be done with a plastic wedge. Method 2 requires a scan tool capable of commanding the fuel pump to stay on.

http://i.imgur.com/rDLAzRL.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
FRANK O'D

Post by FRANK O'D »

Thank you Steve. You always go out of your way and provide solutions and diagrams. Your a tremendous asset to this forum. Thank you. Can I order the flapper door tool from any GM dealership? Thanks again. Frank.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Thanks Frank. I looked a bit to see if one could order one. Usually you can find a few listings even if the prices are sky high but for that part number I could not find anything. Then I found an Ebay listing that mentions part of the number but actually has a different number associated with it: Kent Moore SA9804E-2.

So I am not sure if these are interchangeable items or what?? They look about the same.

If they are the same search ebay for SA9804E-2. See one of there for like $7.00

Link to the one that mentions both numbers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kent-Moore-SA98 ... 27&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

My guess is those pipe diameters might be different to match different styles of check valve. Here is another number that mentions it fits GM E and K, what ever that is.

http://www.handsontools.com/Kent-Moore- ... 32527.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe inquire with Hands on Tools above to see what the differences are. Let us know!!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Is there really a flap there any more? I ask, because I was transferring fuel to our '12 Caprice, and didn't notice one there. Fuel transfer with a 1" ID hose worked perfectly. I figure. Pump at the end of a 5/8" or so hose would work fine.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Is there really a flap there any more? I ask, because I was transferring fuel to our '12 Caprice, and didn't notice one there. Fuel transfer with a 1" ID hose worked perfectly. I figure. Pump at the end of a 5/8" or so hose would work fine.
Were you pumping fuel out? Or putting it in? putting it in is no problem. It's submerging the end in the fuel in the tank where it has to go through the ORVR check valve.

From the Service Manual:
On-Board Refueling Vapor Recovery System (ORVR)

The on-board refuelling vapor recovery system (ORVR) is an on-board vehicle system that is designed to recover the fuel vapors during the vehicle refuelling operation. The flow of liquid fuel down the fuel filler pipe provides a liquid seal, which prevents the vapor from leaving the fuel filler pipe. An evaporative emission (EVAP) pipe transports the fuel vapor to the EVAP canister for use by the engine. Listed below are the ORVR system components with a brief description of their operation:

The EVAP canister. The EVAP canister receives refuelling vapor from the fuel system, stores the vapor and releases the vapor to the engine upon demand.
The EVAP pipes. The EVAP pipes transport the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the EVAP canister.
The fuel filler pipe. The fuel filler pipe carries the fuel from the fuel nozzle to the fuel tank.
The check valve. The check valve limits fuel spit back from the fuel tank during the refuelling operation by allowing the fuel flow only into the fuel tank. This check valve is located at the bottom of the fuel filler pipe.
The modular fuel sender assembly. The assembly pumps the fuel to the engine from the fuel tank.
The fill limiter vent valve (FLVV). This valve acts as a shut-off valve. The FLVV is located at the top of the fuel sender assembly. This valve is not serviced separately. The FLVV has the following functions:
The FLW controls the fuel tank fill level by closing the primary vent from the fuel tank.
The FLW prevents the fuel from exiting the fuel tank via the EVAP pipe to the canister.
The FLW provides fuel-spillage protection in the event of a vehicle roll over by closing the vapor path from the tank to the EVAP canister.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yes, I was filling, but I did notice that the steel flap that's usually at the top of the filler tube, covering the hole where you insert the fuel filler nozzle, wasn't there. That's what I was thinking you were talking about. I didn't know there was that valve at the _bottom_ of the filler tube, I would have been pi55ed if I had stuck a hose down that pipe and then not been able to pull it when done.

Many vehicles have a fuel pump test port, usually up in the engine compartment where you can jump a connector to get the pump to run continuously. Does the Caprice have such a jumper? If so, perhaps disconnect the fuel line somewhere between the tank and fuel rail and let the pump do the work?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Many vehicles have a fuel pump test port, usually up in the engine compartment where you can jump a connector to get the pump to run continuously. Does the Caprice have such a jumper? If so, perhaps disconnect the fuel line somewhere between the tank and fuel rail and let the pump do the work?
That is what I think the second method details in the link I posted. Though it says you need a scanner to command the pump on and keep the pump on. Perhaps there is a jumper that it could be done with? This would be the easier way for sure. There is a test valve port that could be used for emptying on the drivers side fuel rail.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
FRANK O'D

Post by FRANK O'D »

Steve: I got the one on ebay for 12 bucks. I also found a guy online that sells all types of used Kent-Moore tools. He had a J42960-2 and the hose for 35 bucks, got that also. I bought the car ( 2013 Black ) last February and parked it in the garage. It currently has 70 miles on it. Told myself that I was going to enjoy it, still no time. Thanks again for all your help and wisdom. Frank.