Stock Exhaust System

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
The Tech

Stock Exhaust System

Post by The Tech »

Okay, I got my oil changed this week and for the first time looked at the underside of the car. To say I was amazed by the exhaust system would be an understatement. No wonder the car is quiet. Two Cats, two small resonators, a cross-over box - two pipes in, two pipes out, two more resonators (a little larger than the first) over the rear axle and then two bigger than a bread box mufflers.

If you have not seen yours be sure to check it out on a lift.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
storm9c1

Re: Stock Exhaust System

Post by storm9c1 »

Been there, done that. It's easy when you own three lifts in your garage. ;)
In fact, I couldn't wait to get it up on a lift after I got it home! I just had to peek.
I bet the car didn't have more than a few hundred miles on it when I took these pics, mostly from driving it back from MD (Criswell Chevrolet) to Pittsburgh.

For a stock exhaust, I thought it was a work of art. Sure, I'd like some rumble, but after seeing this, kinda makes it hard to mess with it. I'm thinking an axle-back system may be all I'll ever need.
I wonder how just deleting the mufflers behind the axle would sound. Might be just right considering the other stuff upstream.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by storm9c1 on Thu May 02, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

That's why mine is super quiet, until you hit the boost. Then, it's bye bye! :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
nick brown

Post by nick brown »

does anyone know if taking those back cats mess with the o2 sensors?
2011 CHEVY CAPRICE PPV 9C1 (FIRST OWNER)
2008 CHEVY SEDAN LT
1996 IMPALA SS
1964 IMPALA SS 2 DOOR HARD TOP
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Don't believe it does, but there are more knowledgeable folks here then me. I'm dangerous on a good day... lol...

I want to drop the whole mess and go custom. If Kooks (or another provider) can get off the dime and make the 1 7/8" long tubes in a correct configuration so we don't have to lose our oil cooler it would be so nice. I'd love to know what the new SS is going to do for headers, and if it has our type oil cooler installed.

Nice single set of high-flow cats, X-pipe, delete most of the restrictive junk. A good guide to use as somewhat of a reference would be what the G8 community has done. There's lots of different configurations that work for people. But, for me, I'm not going to do the rest of the exhaust work until I can get correct headers. Then it'll be a comprehensive mod in one or two days at the friendly exhaust shop. Bam done.

I'm really thinking about talking to Dan at Clear Image to see if he'd be willing to take a gamble on designing a set of headers, but to my knowledge we don't have any members up that way and it'll 100% take a car being there on a lift to mock something up if he was interested.

A friend of mine in the VW community puts it very succinctly... "moah horsepowah".
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
nick brown

Post by nick brown »

yeah i hear you on the headers, im going to put super 44s flows with 2 1/2 inch pipes, taking out that third muffler and debating if i should take out those damn back cats. i dont see why not, g8 owners do it too im just worried about the computer crying about something.
2008 CHEVY SEDAN LT
1996 IMPALA SS
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

I was under the impression that those items you refer to as "back cats" were actually resonators. I thought the system consisted of cats, resonators, crossover box, resonators and then mufflers.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I was told the rears that looked like small round Lox cylinders were small pony cats and never questioned it. I pulled out the 2011 Helm to look and their general system description sorta s*cks, very generic, not in order, and doesn't have an overall diagram with parts identification.

However, from reading over the complete exhaust section a few times including the procedures they may actually be resonators. Hmmmmm....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
nick brown

Post by nick brown »

from what i read GM calls it a 3rd muffler but in reality its just a resonator and those back cats i just hope they dont mess with the computer and bring up a code when i cut those out.
2008 CHEVY SEDAN LT
1996 IMPALA SS
nick brown

Post by nick brown »

i didnt have the guy cut those resonators too worried it was going to mess with the computer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9fb_3X5 ... 7K&index=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2008 CHEVY SEDAN LT
1996 IMPALA SS