Stock Exhaust System

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
Twotonfun

Re: Stock Exhaust System

Post by Twotonfun »

Nick

I like the tips where did you get them?
nick brown

Post by nick brown »

Twotonfun wrote:Nick

I like the tips where did you get them?
got them at a shop called austins pro max 5602 S tacoma way, tacoma, wa 98409
2011 CHEVY CAPRICE PPV 9C1 (FIRST OWNER)
2008 CHEVY SEDAN LT
1996 IMPALA SS
1964 IMPALA SS 2 DOOR HARD TOP
ImpalaPPV

Post by ImpalaPPV »

In lieu of a complete "cat back" exhaust system what some thoughts about removing the second cats, the factory "crossover" center muffler and the stock "bread box" mufflers and replacing just the mufflers. For example a dynomax ultra flow "X" muffler in place of the "stock crossover" leave the resonators and throw two stainless works turbo muffles or whatever you want on the back. My personal preference for a police car is quiet(er). I don't want to drive around in an unmarked with strait pipes or noticeably loud mufflers. I understand that custom 2.5 or 3" will support more power but that gets pricey and loud fast. I'd like to add headers to the setup too. Understand this is a pipe dream as I can't afford a Caprice anytime soon; I've just been looking at a lot of pictures and trying to get an idea of what I want to do when I can afford a new car.
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

I have my entire stock exhaust system in my garage and can get pictures if you would like to see anything close up. The Cats are actually attached to the exhaust manifolds. The first O2 sensors are before the Cats. After the Cats is a connection for the exhaust pipes from just after the Cats to just behind the rear axle. The second O2 sensors are just after the first bend in these pipes. Further back are the first mufflers or resonators. There is no O2 sensor after them so there is no way they will have any effect on the Check Engine Light (Emission Systems) and why I don't believe they are secondary cats. With no following sensor they can't give readings to the emissions system and it would not make sense to use Cats if they don't make a difference in the emission readings to the system. These first resonators then go immediately into the cross over box and then continue back to longer second resonators. There is a 90 degree outward curve in the pipes that goes to the connection to the axle back muffler system. These are two Bread box size mufflers that fill the rear quarters of the car and then exit at the back of the car out the tail pipe.

When Kooks Removed my stock system to install their custom system it was as simple as unbolting the pieces and removing them from the car. The middle piece with the front resonators, cross-over box and second resonators unbolts from the Catalytic Converters and unbolts from the mufflers at the back and then just pulls out of the hangers. The mufflers are then loose also and can be pulled from their hangers. The only other thing to do is to remove the exhaust manifold bolts and they come out with the Cats attached. The stock O2 sensors from my original system were installed into the new system Kooks installed, the front sensor into one of the header tubes and the second sensor behind the new high flow cats.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

So how is that Kooks system working for you? Are they any closer to releasing it to production?
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
ImpalaPPV

Post by ImpalaPPV »

Any pictures you could take would be appreciated. I would really like to get an idea of the layout of the exhaust. Also is it all stainless steel?
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

elc32955 wrote:So how is that Kooks system working for you? Are they any closer to releasing it to production?
The Kooks system is great. I love the way the car sounds now and it feels like it has more power. I have a dyno-tune scheduled with PCM of NC so I won't have numbers until then.

Kooks has them ready now. Just call them to order. The headers are the same as the "SS" and they will make the entire system for the PPV if you wish.

I will get more of the pictures tomorrow.

And yes I know in this photo the manifold/Cats are on the wrong side. It just made a better looking picture for FaceBook.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
ImpalaPPV

Post by ImpalaPPV »

Thanks for the Picture.
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

Is there any way to get some video of it, so we can hear what it sounds like?
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

Gerome wrote:Is there any way to get some video of it, so we can hear what it sounds like?
I posted a Video Link in another thread about the Kooks Headers but I'm not sure how to point to it so here it is again:

1996 DGGM Impala SS