Deep Pan Transmission Modification

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
kevink

Re: Deep Pan Transmission Modification

Post by kevink »

Caprice pan:

Camaro pan:
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Is that plug in the same relative position in the pan? I read on a Holden board that they had issues if they extended the tube to the same height as the Caprice's, it would hit the valve body. They also talked about Cadillac STS-V and a wide mouth filter from the 6L90E:
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread. ... 80E/page23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of info in that thread. Ultimately, then mention the G8 guys use the Camaro pan and wide mouth filter.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

sounds like I'm low on fluid sir
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

xcidmigs wrote:sounds like I'm low on fluid sir
I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have drained any reading Moose's link. 6 qts from empty should have been fine, problem is I have no way of telling what all spilled on the shop floor but it was around a full quart. Just like the link says though, I guess in this case it can't hurt to overfill a bit.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
kevink

Post by kevink »

xcidmigs wrote:sounds like I'm low on fluid sir
Our dipstick tubes might be different since the guy we got them from modified the design for my car. The only way to really know if your dipstick's hashed "hot" area is in the right spot is to install it, remove the pan, and see where the hashed area is in relation to the pan rail. My hashed area is right around the pan rail, which is about 0.180" higher than the stock Caprice level. I then put in another 1/4 or 1/2 quart on top of that and so far, so good, even under very hard acceleration.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

After my drainage I added a half quart and that brought me to about 80% on the Lokar dipstick, then I added another half quart and I'm over the full lol. Oh well, if everyone else has been overfilling I'll be fine. I also haven't seem my temp rise above 50C, could be the colder weather, but that 62C was ridiculous even though I was low on fluid. Always good to keep temps down, also for about 2000 miles, I haven't had any issues with RP and the slip additive being in the diff. Off-topic I know, I just had to say it lol.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
wx39c1

Post by wx39c1 »

I discovered my transmission is leaking. I am pretty sure it is leaking from the pan gasket since I think it may have just been serviced at 100k. It could be something else, but I couldn't see anything obvious and the converter appeared dry. The cooler line fittings were also dry. I liked the idea of using this pan so I ordered one.

The pan was $19.60 at Rockauto when I ordered it. Today it is $20.99 though.

When I was checking for the leak, I found a rubber hose on the left side of the transmission just dangling there. It is either capped off or has a vent on the end. It is about 1/2" in diameter. I couldn't really see to follow where it goes. I thought it could be a drain, but it appears to be sealed. Does anyone know what this might be?
kevink

Post by kevink »

Does it have a round white thing on the end? It may be the vent. If it is, it's supposed to be attached to the rear of the driver's side cylinder head.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/2136618-post9.html
wx39c1

Post by wx39c1 »

The pictures on the G8 board of the vent are really helpful. I really did Google it, but I sure didn't find that thread. That is really helpful. Mine is definitely not attached to the cylinder head and this is in the location that it might fall to. I am pretty sure that it is an black octagonal vent cap.
wx39c1

Re: Deep Pan Transmission Modification-Special tool

Post by wx39c1 »

Steve asked if there is a special tool to fill the pan. I might have missed if anyone posted a reply.

The tool is the Kent Moore Tool Dt-47784 Transmission Fluid Fill Pan Adapter. Wow! Is it really $60? It just seems to be a plug with a hole in it. I would expect it to have a fill and a drain passage so that you could fill it until it leaks out the tube.

Here is the thread that shows the illustrated guide.

http://www.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;