Can't shift into L (column shifter) solved

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
iboughtonetoo

Can't shift into L (column shifter) solved

Post by iboughtonetoo »

Before I bring it in for warranty (to a very unqualified dealer for these), is there any adjustment I can do to the column shifter? I know its just a cable that runs from the lever to the trans box. Mine never felt right but wont let me go into low at all.

D is is well nudged (after some play to get it properly in the slot) and I can pull it back out of the notch and move it down about 1/4" but that's about it. there is no travel left to engage L or even what it would appear to be an L slot below the D.

Run down of how my lever feels. P is solid, R is by the grace of the dash indicator (can't feel anything), N is pretty much the same, D is solid but it seems like it engages before the lever is in the notch itself, L is physically not there.

Unless they took the option to shift into L? But manual does not state that. Compared to the Tahoe shifter, this one is horrible. Again, I distrust dealers as they always ruin things, so even though its under warranty id rather tackle it myself.
Last edited by iboughtonetoo on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 0 days in service. Carpet, factory SL delete. purch @ 86, nov 2016 hit 13000. yeah!
http://i.imgur.com/W52rR3H.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9C1fanatic

Re: Can't shift into L (column shifter)

Post by 9C1fanatic »

That does not sound right. Get it checked out. It should be a very positive firm click into each position from P all the way to L. My guess is the cable or its adjustment. Before taking it in, you may get under the car and check the connection at the trans. Make sure all bolts are tight and clips in place.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
iboughtonetoo

Re: Can't shift into L (column shifter)

Post by iboughtonetoo »

Yep feels wrong. I did some more exploring.

I took some trim pieces off to look at the shifter in the dash. I can see the gear notches and working it across it behaves normally. I can't see or feel any slack in that, looks brand new and what not.

There is a clear misalignment between the lever notches and the clicks the transmission shifter arm makes. I took out the center plate and can see where the Bowden cable goes into the tunnel, but there is no visual view nor access to the actual connection on the transmission from the top of that round slot. The black plate that houses the grommet and cable seems to be either riveted or bolted from the outside, so no removal from the in.

Does anyone have the procedure to adjust the linkage? Im going to try to crawl under it now, not sure I can lift it enough to get clearance tho. Guess will find out
SOLVED

You unhook the black ring (2 clips, push up toward sky) that goes over the white plastic connector. This white connector is the last piece that hooks onto the transmission gear arm. you can then adjust it back and forth and push the black clip down so it engages on the serrations and locks it into desired position

BUT

Mine was so out of adjustment I had to remove the white piece and trim 1/4" off the end so it would go back far enough to adjust (stock it was hitting some housing part, hard to explain here but if you ever crawl under, you will figure it out exactly what I am talking about). You need a wife/kid/drunk buddy/dog to hold the gear lever into a desired position, I used L since that was the trouble spot. once it is all lined up, clip it and lock it. Done.

I now have crisp secure gear positions and low gear limit available. As a side note, the transmission will go back to L1 L2 on the lever, but the cable and shifter design makes it possible to only shift it into L3. Gears 1 + 2 are unavailable for manual limiting (mentioned in another thread) through the column.
So its nice to know some kangaroo watching aficionado let that go out of the factory like that. What was causing it I can think of 2 things. Wrong length linkage cable or mount bracket that was bent a bit wrong holding said end of cable. It basically pushed the whole link 1/4" forward in relation to where it needs to be.

On top of that, the actual adjuster was midway, so for a total of half an inch of wrong.
2015 0 days in service. Carpet, factory SL delete. purch @ 86, nov 2016 hit 13000. yeah!
http://i.imgur.com/W52rR3H.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;