Swapping gears in stock differential

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Dmtzsslaclinc

Swapping gears in stock differential

Post by Dmtzsslaclinc »

I know some of you guys have swapped pumpkins from camaros but has anybody loaded new gears into the factory differential? We have a spare one laying around and I was wanting to swap to 3.73s so I can throw it into the car before the next time I go to get a tune ....but I'm having a hard time finding someone that's had experience with these. If someone can point me the right direction with parts and what not id really appreciate it..
bsparks72

Re: Swapping gears in stock differential

Post by bsparks72 »

I don't know if the gearsets are the same, but I know the Camaro pumpkin is a good bit larger than the Caprice pumpkin. I'd be cruising the G8 boards, as it's more likely that someone over there has done a gear swap.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
Dmtzsslaclinc

Post by Dmtzsslaclinc »

bsparks72 wrote:I don't know if the gearsets are the same, but I know the Camaro pumpkin is a good bit larger than the Caprice pumpkin. I'd be cruising the G8 boards, as it's more likely that someone over there has done a gear swap.
Ya I was wondering what the g8s had differential wise... Are you thinking they might have the same ones as us?? If so that's something I definitely wanna check into
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The carrier between a G8, SS, Camaro, and probably CTS* are interchangeable. It's probably cheaper and easier to just get a take-out carrier and install that, vs. finding and installing a gear in your carrier.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

I paid $550 for a 3.45 complete center section from a 6M Camaro SS with 13k miles on it. I definitely would just find a Camaro diff. The G8 is in the same boat as us as far as diff size and gearing, unless it's a GXP, I'm pretty sure.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel