Transmission rattle in 2nd gear only?

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Maschinenbau

Transmission rattle in 2nd gear only?

Post by Maschinenbau »

There's a strange sound coming from my 2012 9C1, and I'm trying to decide if it is a problem (or indicative of future problems), or just an annoying quirk.
I have an interesting rattle that comes from my transmission (seems like it originates on the passenger side of the car). It only happens in 2nd gear after upshifting from 1st at moderate load. It doesn't happen at low throttle positions at all. (It may be that it does happen at WOT, but I can't hear it - but my mostly suburban driving doesn't give a lot of opportunities for WOT through 2nd gear). It doesn't happen at moderate throttles when downshifting from 3rd gear.
Its almost like a plastic sound - not very metallic. I think it is constant frequency, somewhere around 5 Hz. It happens a little after the transmission has already shifted into 2nd, and seems to stop after 1 to 1.5 seconds, whether or not it is shifting into 3rd yet.
The car has just over 100k miles, and I just changed the fluid. It did it before and after the fluid change.
Any similar experiences? Thoughts? Concerns?
-AA
2012 Caprice PPV
CrashTestDummy

Re: Transmission rattle in 2nd gear only?

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Motor mount? That's a common issue. Also, it seems some of the exhaust heat shields get bent out of shape and can hit exhaust system parts if the car has been driven at high speed persuit speeds. :mrgreen:

Get the car on a lift and run your hand between the exhaust and body panels to see if you have bent shields.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?