cts-v OEM torque converter?

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
xcidmigs

cts-v OEM torque converter?

Post by xcidmigs »

I'm not seeing anyone discuss using one of these units which is from the more heavy duty 6l90 trans and has a slightly higher stall speed?

http://paceperformance.com/i-15340456-2 ... erter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are selling for under $300 elsewhere plus that $100 core charge I'm interested in this again since i can't find a Camaro rear I want locally.
s/c'd cav

Re: cts-v OEM torque converter?

Post by s/c'd cav »

they are a great converter , twin disk , able to hold full throttle while locked up
Maxspeed96ct

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

the cts-v / zl1 converter is a awesome converter for a forced induction application, N/A its not as noticeable of a gain since its only slightly more stall.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Yes that slight gain may be what some people want rather than a radically high RPM launch. That plus its a stronger piece if you are doing incremental power adding like headers, cam etc.... I also want to know if it would end the stop light creep that these cars seem to have where the car just wants to walk away from a stop rather briskly on its own.
kevink

Post by kevink »

xcidmigs wrote:Yes that slight gain may be what some people want rather than a radically high RPM launch. That plus its a stronger piece if you are doing incremental power adding like headers, cam etc.... I also want to know if it would end the stop light creep that these cars seem to have where the car just wants to walk away from a stop rather briskly on its own.
The thing with the new high stall converters is that when you're just driving around normally they do not slip very much at all. When you hammer it, though, it gets interesting. I doubt you'd notice any difference in performance from a few hundred more stall RPM. I think people use them just because they can hold more power compared to lesser units. You never hear of anyone saying that they wish they got a lower stall. It's almost always the opposite. I kind of wish my 3800 was higher.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Maxspeed96ct

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

Im going to have to disagree kevin, its all a matter of opinion. I drove around in my friends g8 with a 3200 (which is considered mild ) and it was annoying to me around town.

I think with a 3.45 gear it would have been tighter but with stock 2.92s it was awful.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Heh, that's probably (one of) the reason we got our 96 SS! It was a low-11-second bolt-on car, and featured a 3500 RPM converter. Driving around in stop and go traffic, the car seemed 'heavy' and kind of sluggish off the light. The PO's wife claimed she hated that (although it now looks like she was looking for excuses to hate anything of his), so, after the PO's wife's mother backed into the car _for the second time_ he offered it up for sale.

While kind of slow off the mark at normal throttle settings, if you hammer the throttle, the thing really comes alive. The converter also helps off the line traction, too, since it doesn't shock the tires much (unless you press the Big Blue Button(TM)). I'd love one in our Caprice, but am not yet willing to drop the transmission myself. We have a good transmission shop we have used for other cars, and may ask them what they'd charge to install one, so it's not completely out of the question.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

i had a 3200 stall in my G8 and it drove like stock , and the cam was very big

there is loose converters and there is tight converters , its all on how you spec the converter , getting a off the -shelf converter is a BAD decision !!!
kevink

Post by kevink »

CrashTestDummy wrote:I'd love one in our Caprice, but am not yet willing to drop the transmission myself. We have a good transmission shop we have used for other cars, and may ask them what they'd charge to install one, so it's not completely out of the question.
The transmission is really easy to remove! I took mine out by myself with a floor jack and the car up on jackstands in a few hours. My heads were off, so I was able to get to the two top bellhousing bolts easily. That's the only thing you might struggle with a little, but I'm not even sure about that as I didn't try to get them out with the heads on.
kevink

Post by kevink »

Maxspeed96ct wrote:Im going to have to disagree kevin, its all a matter of opinion. I drove around in my friends g8 with a 3200 (which is considered mild ) and it was annoying to me around town.

I think with a 3.45 gear it would have been tighter but with stock 2.92s it was awful.
But how did your friend like it?