3:27 Chevy SS Diff' vs. 3:45 Camaro

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
User avatar
kevink
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: 3:27 Chevy SS Diff' vs. 3:45 Camaro

Post by kevink » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:40 am

An easy way to remember what's important is that the 2010-2015 Camaro LSDs are the only ones worth installing.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118. World's fastest naturally aspirated Caprice PPV.

SSpeedracer
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Re: 3:27 Chevy SS Diff' vs. 3:45 Camaro

Post by SSpeedracer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:40 pm

Where are you guys finding the best deal for 3.27's? On line, ebay, craigs list etc? Or local salvage yards?
2016 Caprice

CrashTestDummy
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:31 pm
Location: Pearland, Texas

Re: 3:27 Chevy SS Diff' vs. 3:45 Camaro

Post by CrashTestDummy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:13 pm

Yes! :D

I got mine from a seller on one of the G8 forums. So there's those, too. And don't forget the Chevy SS forum, since some may go bigger and want to get rid of the factory diff.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2010 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1996 BBB Impala SS (11-second DD)
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?

VintageIron41
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:23 am

Re: 3:27 Chevy SS Diff' vs. 3:45 Camaro

Post by VintageIron41 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:15 pm

Pardon, if I didn't clarify, I meant the entire rear end suspension, including differential and axles. the complete assembly. I doubt the SS and PPV interchange, but one source is telling me yes they do.

s/c'd cav
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:12 am
Location: PHOENIX AZ

Re: 3:27 Chevy SS Diff' vs. 3:45 Camaro

Post by s/c'd cav » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:31 pm

VintageIron41 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:15 pm
Pardon, if I didn't clarify, I meant the entire rear end suspension, including differential and axles. the complete assembly. I doubt the SS and PPV interchange, but one source is telling me yes they do.
YES , the whole cradle will swap over , same with the 5th gen camaro

youll need to keep your shock/spring assembly , unless you get one from a 14

User avatar
kevink
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: 3:27 Chevy SS Diff' vs. 3:45 Camaro

Post by kevink » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:46 pm

SSpeedracer wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:40 pm
Where are you guys finding the best deal for 3.27's? On line, ebay, craigs list etc? Or local salvage yards?
Also try Camaro5
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118. World's fastest naturally aspirated Caprice PPV.

VintageIron41
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:23 am

Re: 3:27 Chevy SS Diff' vs. 3:45 Camaro

Post by VintageIron41 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 pm

s/c'd cav wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:31 pm
VintageIron41 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:15 pm
Pardon, if I didn't clarify, I meant the entire rear end suspension, including differential and axles. the complete assembly. I doubt the SS and PPV interchange, but one source is telling me yes they do.
YES , the whole cradle will swap over , same with the 5th gen camaro

youll need to keep your shock/spring assembly , unless you get one from a 14
Thank you s/c'd cav, I have a lead on a 2014 Chevy SS complete rear end assembly with low miles, it's a 3.27 ratio, my thoughts are that since my PPV is also a 2014, and has 128k miles on it, that swapping out the entire assembly, IF it interchanged, would be practical to freshen the entire unit while gaining the gear change. So if both the SS and the PPV are of the same year, 2014, it is a one for one swap?

As always, thank you!

lastcall190
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:17 am
Location: North Jersey

Re: 3:27 Chevy SS Diff' vs. 3:45 Camaro

Post by lastcall190 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:22 pm

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... d&start=30

That guy swapped one for one into a pre 2014 IIRC. Might be some useful information for you there, or even just PM him if need be.

-J
2012 Caprice
For sale (inquire within)

2008 CVPI
172k and going strong... Nearing retirement

VintageIron41
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:23 am

Re: 3:27 Chevy SS Diff' vs. 3:45 Camaro

Post by VintageIron41 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:25 pm

VintageIron41 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 pm
s/c'd cav wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:31 pm
VintageIron41 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:15 pm
Pardon, if I didn't clarify, I meant the entire rear end suspension, including differential and axles. the complete assembly. I doubt the SS and PPV interchange, but one source is telling me yes they do.
YES , the whole cradle will swap over , same with the 5th gen camaro

youll need to keep your shock/spring assembly , unless you get one from a 14
Thank you s/c'd cav, I have a lead on a 2014 Chevy SS complete rear end assembly with low miles, it's a 3.27 ratio, my thoughts are that since my PPV is also a 2014, and has 128k miles on it, that swapping out the entire assembly, IF it interchanged, would be practical to freshen the entire unit while gaining the gear change. So if both the SS and the PPV are of the same year, 2014, it is a one for one swap?

As always, thank you!
Picture is unit mentioned in above post.
ChevySS 2014 rear axle assembly.jpg
ChevySS 2014 rear axle assembly.jpg (111.22 KiB) Viewed 241 times

s/c'd cav
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:12 am
Location: PHOENIX AZ

Re: 3:27 Chevy SS Diff' vs. 3:45 Camaro

Post by s/c'd cav » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:39 pm

VintageIron41 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 pm
s/c'd cav wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:31 pm
VintageIron41 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:15 pm
Pardon, if I didn't clarify, I meant the entire rear end suspension, including differential and axles. the complete assembly. I doubt the SS and PPV interchange, but one source is telling me yes they do.
YES , the whole cradle will swap over , same with the 5th gen camaro

youll need to keep your shock/spring assembly , unless you get one from a 14
Thank you s/c'd cav, I have a lead on a 2014 Chevy SS complete rear end assembly with low miles, it's a 3.27 ratio, my thoughts are that since my PPV is also a 2014, and has 128k miles on it, that swapping out the entire assembly, IF it interchanged, would be practical to freshen the entire unit while gaining the gear change. So if both the SS and the PPV are of the same year, 2014, it is a one for one swap?

As always, thank you!
yes direct swap , just need to get the car tuned to correct the gear change

youll want to check the sway bar size , and keep the larger one on the car

youll need to swap over the park brake cables , the SS is electric , where ours is mechanical

Post Reply