Caprice Paddle Shifters

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Tariq

Caprice Paddle Shifters

Post by Tariq »

Hi,, I want to install a paddle shifter on my car , so any one can help me with parts I need and how to do it?
It will be the first Caprice in ME do it if's done and works with no issues.
Last edited by Tariq on Wed May 28, 2014 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Paddle Shifters Caprice

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tariq, I think you are going to find this an exceedingly difficult (if not impossible) task, without moving to a 2014 Caprice. The electrical architecture of the pre-VF/WN platform will not support the addition of paddle shift as found on the new SS sedan or Gen5 Camaro.

While I could be wrong, you need to reach out to Chris White (WAMS) for a definitive answer.

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tariq

Post by Tariq »

Bill they do it in G8 and work very fine
You know they are the same (G8 and Caprice)
I will try to get the link for that thread
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Does not appear that OE/production parts are being used. That is the standard that I was going by.

I still recommend that you communicate with Chris White about this, as to feasibility, and what issues may arise if you go the aftermarket route.
Tariq

Post by Tariq »

Navy Lifer wrote:Does not appear that OE/production parts are being used. That is the standard that I was going by.

I still recommend that you communicate with Chris White about this, as to feasibility, and what issues may arise if you go the aftermarket route.
See this link ,, he used Camaro shifter and look IMO great

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Well, learning something about this--looks doable, so I see where you're coming from....I had thought it was more complex than it appears to be.

I can get parts for you, no problem, and I'd say the linked thread gives you most or all of the other information and installation procedure details.

Drop a PM or e-mail if you'd like me to get parts for you.
Tariq

Post by Tariq »

Navy Lifer wrote:Well, learning something about this--looks doable, so I see where you're coming from....I had thought it was more complex than it appears to be.

I can get parts for you, no problem, and I'd say the linked thread gives you most or all of the other information and installation procedure details.

Drop a PM or e-mail if you'd like me to get parts for you.
Thanks Bill , I think I can get it from our dealer if they can't then I will contact you.
but what I don't understand from the link is where should I connect the wires thats come out frome the paddle? :?: :?:
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Caprice Paddle Shifters

Post by Navy Lifer »

from your link: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I ended up disconnecting the leds in the steering wheel to utilize that wire in the clock spring. Like many have said, it looks like the onstar buttons are all tied into the bcm so it is not a easy wire to "steal". I can deal with no lighted buttons. Here is some pics.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL, USING THE WRONG WIRE FRIES THE BCM!!!! IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT PLEASE CONTACT ME FIRST. I am more than happy to help you guys."

The rest of the post (above) gives the level of detail that should enable you to accomplish the mod, if you're still onboard with it after learning that you lose the illumination to the SW controls. I think, if you read far enough through the thread (it's currently 37 pages long), you'll find that someone has figured another way to do this and keep the illumination functional.

Your question is really for the OP, unless or until a PPV owner steps up and does this mod.
Tariq

Post by Tariq »

Navy Lifer wrote:from your link: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I ended up disconnecting the leds in the steering wheel to utilize that wire in the clock spring. Like many have said, it looks like the onstar buttons are all tied into the bcm so it is not a easy wire to "steal". I can deal with no lighted buttons. Here is some pics.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL, USING THE WRONG WIRE FRIES THE BCM!!!! IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT PLEASE CONTACT ME FIRST. I am more than happy to help you guys."

The rest of the post (above) gives the level of detail that should enable you to accomplish the mod, if you're still onboard with it after learning that you lose the illumination to the SW controls. I think, if you read far enough through the thread (it's currently 37 pages long), you'll find that someone has figured another way to do this and keep the illumination functional.

Your question is really for the OP, unless or until a PPV owner steps up and does this mod.
I don't care about SW controls illumination and I will start to order the parts for this Project

1- GM 13297281 http://stores.revolutionparts.com/gmpar ... M+13297281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 17$

2- GM 13297283 http://stores.revolutionparts.com/gmpar ... m/13297283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 17$

I think this is all what I need! Right? and I'm not sure about the wires

Bill if you have any advise before starting this Project please tell me to avoid any issue
wa9ray

Post by wa9ray »

I have a 2014 ppv, has anyone tried to put paddle shifters on one yet like the 2014 and 15 chevy ss ?
Ray

2014 ppv