Making Z06 wheels fit!!!!

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
S13REMI

Re: Making Z06 wheels fit!!!!

Post by S13REMI »

most likely gonna be the last up date to this thread in ahwile. If any one has any question always more than happy to try and answer them. Spent the day in my buddies garage saturday making a couple changes to suspension. Got the sway bar back back in the car, modified my new control arms :o :o and yanked the spare battery. So I can now say that the 325s are on and the car drives great! The tire ocasionally rubs fenders on huge bumps at high speeds, but normal driving they never touch. some photos for proof!
you can see how much i removed from the control arm. so the wheel doesnt hit anymore

its been about a year since i welded last so please excuse the shotty looking weld.

and a little red paint to prevent rust

Make sure you guys keep your eyes pealed for threads in exhaust section and engine tech. I promise the exhaust will follow suit and be as rediculous as the rest of the mods on the car.
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Those control arms have the provision for using the 2015 SS rear sway bar, which might be a useful mod considering the staggered wheel/tire setup is similar to the SS.

Are you running the stock sway bars front & rear?
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

Stock sway bars all the way around. I like the idea of running the ss sway bars. I was reading the sway bar thread today! You have one in your caprice right?
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I have the parts....just have not installed them yet. The rear involves changing lower control arms--as you have done or by using OE Camaro arms available for that purpose, or even modifying production arms, and I'll be changing rear brakes to Brembo either at the same time or before.

Front VF & WN (2014 & newer PPV) sway bar is 26mm--the WM (2011-2013 PPV) has a 24mm front bar.

Rear WN is 20mm (same as G8 GXP), but VF (SS sedan) uses a 28mm rear bar for 2014, and a wide-based 25mm bar for 2015 & newer--provides as much roll stiffness as the 28mm bar, but is less harsh in transitions. The newer configuration bar is also specific to the sedan by having an offset built into the shaft between the 2 frame/cradle mounting points, to clear the spare tire tub, which is not the case with the Camaro version(s) of the wide bar.

My intention is to use the 2015 SS sedan wide version of the rear bar--there MAY be an interference problem with the later rear bar and standard PPV rear brakes (same as 2014 SS--324mm), but nothing has been confirmed.

To clarify, the 2015-2016 SS sedan also received Brembo rear brakes, same as Camaro 5thGen--the wide-base rear bar didn't show up on Camaro until 2012....it appears to be part of the ZL1 & 1LE chassis development effort, and was fitted to SS sedan in 2015. Reading various reports & discussion, it was suggested that the latest style of rear bar could not be installed without the Brembo SS sedan (360mm) rear brake package upgrade.
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

thats all helpful. ill have to keep my eyes open for some used sway bars. Im planning on removing the spar tire tub, make room for mufflers and i honestly have no use for it anymore. That being said Im getting the impression I should be able to use the camaro one with out any problems. My thought is they will be much more readily available do to the poularity of the car.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

S13REMI wrote:My thought is they will be much more readily available do to the po(p)ularity of the car.
For the rear, yes....and a variety of sizes are available depending on model/year, as well as in the aftermarket, but for used bars, it will be luck alone as far as the options you get to choose from. For the front, I'm not sure the Camaro bar will work on sedan chassis.

Whether the spare "tub" is removed or notched, it should be possible to fit a Camaro rear bar.

Below is some info from Australia, talking about the SS-V Redline with 6.2 (LS3) and full-Brembo setup, which is basically the same vehicle as 15-16 Chevy SS, but without the MRC shock setup.

Raising (and stretching) the bar
http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/features/15 ... st-holden/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Holden -Commodore -Sway -Bar
http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/media/26967 ... ay-bar.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(reviewer's comments)
"Out on the road, the difference in suspension tune is even more apparent. Fitting (fixed) Brembo calipers to the Redline’s rear brake set-up enabled fitment of a new rear anti-roll half a metre wider, meaning the Redline could run softer rear springs to achieve a far more sophisticated ride/handling mix.

Where the previous anti-roll bar (still fitted to the FE2-suspended SV6, SS and SS-V) was as stiff as possible, mounting the new bar close to the centre of the rear wheels introduces a much greater degree of subtlety."
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

is there any difference in rear springs or struts on the 2015 SS vs the 2014 version Bill? would seem strange that the big difference in sway bat doesn't have any other changes to go with it, the holden article seems to hint at that saying the spring rates are softer?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I don't know that I can give you a really correct answer to your entire question, but here goes.

2014 SS is unique based on rear brakes, sway bar and conventional shocks.

2015 SS got the big brakes, revised sway bar, and MRC (magnetic ride control) shock system. We "assumed" there would be significant differences in springs with MRC, but I don't really think that's the case, having compared some of the 2014 & 2015 parts, but all indications that 15/16 springs are softer/lower rate.

What needs to be remembered is that SS is already at the high end of the spectrum as far as the handling package, so spring rates are relatively high compared to lesser versions of the Commodore that aren't available here....nor are those parts (springs) available, other than through assistance from CP or someone else in Australia. We can get what's in the GMNA parts book--the spring PN's are different year by year, but unlike older US cars (take 94-96 Impala SS & Caprice as examples), there were a multitude of production springs available. For these cars, there are no "option" springs other than looking at year-by-year differences.

I also believe the 15/16 SS springs are softer (than 14) and that all of the SS springs are softer than PPV springs, and that they all will lower the car slightly, as well--at least one owner here has done that and the results, I recall, were about 0.75" lower ride height. Not sure what was mentioned, if anything, about whether ride comfort changed.
Reference thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the difference in ride quality is probably due to the change in strut/shock valving in the 2011>2012 transition, since the 2011 PPV's had a front strut calibrated by GMA/Holden, and updated parts were introduced for 2012, calibrated by GMNA engineers. Rear shocks actually went into use in the later part of 2011 production, but front struts came as part of the MY changeover.
Reference thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other source of springs would be the G8, where there's a greater variety of choice, I believe, since a V6 "non sport" suspension option was also available. I've ridden in a G8 GXP with 20" wheels and stock GXP suspension, and it seems to have a more compliant/softer overall ride than the PPV. Some of that could be the seat, too, as the PPV seats are pretty firm.

I like the idea of lower spring rates and bigger sway bars, whenever it's an option.

The real question is whether it's OK to use VF (Chevy SS) front struts on a WM (2011-2013 PPV), since the VF (SS)/WN (2014+> PPV) chassis evolution includes aluminum knuckles that are thicker at the strut clevis than the WM PPV--meaning the later struts won't swap unless the knuckles are changed, too. I don't know if it could just be a matter of making a spacer to be able to keep the WM (cast iron) knuckles if the newer struts, with wider clevis opening, are worth using.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Have any part #s for the 2015 control arms you are using (Camaro version or the SS sedan) and the SS rear sway bar and other associated parts needed like the end links?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Bar:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... ilizer-bar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bar end links:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... ition=left" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Control arms:
Production SS sedan
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... ontrol-arm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... ontrol-arm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Camaro (will actually RAISE vehicle slightly--also uses different bushing at inboard end) - if lowering springs are part of the plan, this probably won't matter.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/camaro-per ... arent=1032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(This kit is VERY inexpensive)

There are a few other essentials--the correct clamps, bushings & fasteners where the bar is attached to the rear cradle--use the parts identified as 2015 w/ride control.