Incremental improvements on a budget

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Hzgray

Incremental improvements on a budget

Post by Hzgray »

I'm trying to decide to best bang for the buck handling improvement. I have 2013 9c3 and under ~$1k to spend in near term. Was thinking of either lighter aftermarket wheels. Something like 18 in Pf01s on stock tires if I can find used. Or, new springs. Not into the slammed look but coming from a WRX i loved the handling in turns. Understand WRX is lighter car. Not afraid of stiffish ride and like the forward rake look. Pedders? Thoughts? Thank you.
2013 9C3, DoD delete, BTR Stg 1, Kooks 1 7/8, Rotofab, 3.27 Diff, VMR 810 wheels (staggered), King Springs (lowered), oh and a D1SC.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Incremental improvements on a budget

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I think a couple here have installed H&R springs, which dropped the car a bit, but didn't give it the slammed look. It looked pretty nice, but know nothing of the ride. Others have used Chevy SS springs. I think it dropped the car maybe a 1/2", or so, and, again, they seemed to like the ride.

While you're there, I'd also install sway bars. The ones on the 9C1 are big, but there are better aftermarket ones out there.

Yes, dropping the unsprung weight will help, and dropping wheel weight is worth almost 2X the drop in vehicle weight, so there's a lot to gain there. The trouble is finding a nice wheel that fits, and isn't $1000 a corner!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

you can probably find a set of SS wheels for about $1K these days--quite a few coming up on SS Forum--19x8.5 & 19x9 staggered, fit Caprice with no clearance issues. Yes, you'll spend another $1K for good tires....

Another option to consider is the 2016 Camaro V6 5-spoke wheel--18x8.5, same pattern, with 32mm offset. That pushes the wheels out pretty far, so depending on ride height and tire size, it's not a given that some tire rub won't occur at the rear. With stock PPV brakes, these wheels could be "shaved" 3-4mm (on the hub flange surface) to provide a little more room. It does not appear they can be used with Brembo calipers, at least in front.

Front sway bar--2014>2016 SS & Caprice use the same 26mm front bar, and it will backfit to 11-13 PPV, which is 24mm

Rear sway bar--2014 SS is dramatically larger and will bolt on to PPV (28mm vs 16mm). If you go this route, the rear lower control arms should be reinforced with a kit from BMR where the bar links attach to the control arms, otherwise the bracket (on the arm) tends to tear apart, or the stock links fail. Option might be to use 14 SS rear lower control arms. Probably a good idea to use the BMR end links, too.

Other options for rear:
use 2015>2016 SS rear bar, but that requires a change/mod to rear lower control arms, and may require change to Brembo rear brakes.

use 2014>2016 PPV rear bar, which is same (20mm) bar that was used on G8 GXP
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

With only $1000, I would go for wheels and tires. A good source would be the 18" Camaro wheels which are bolt on. They are a lot lighter and cheap to buy used. I've seen practically new take-offs for about $300 on local "craig"-type listings. The 18" performance tires are also noticeably cheaper than their equivalent 19" or 20" sizes. In the meantime, you can re-use your stock tires and TPMS sensors which are acceptable in the near term.

Springs would be another good option. Honestly, I didn't find a significant improvements in handling capability with them but again, for the $200-$270, the H&R or Eibachs are cheap and do enhance the look depending on your preferences.

Wheels + tires, or Wheels + springs should round up to about $1000.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Hzgray

Post by Hzgray »

I appreciate the feedback. I'll keep a lookout on Craiglist and forums for cheaper parts. Hopefully there will be some Black Friday deals too! Was surprised to hear aftermarket springs do not significantly improve handling. Are the sway bars the limiting factor to address first?
2013 9C3, DoD delete, BTR Stg 1, Kooks 1 7/8, Rotofab, 3.27 Diff, VMR 810 wheels (staggered), King Springs (lowered), oh and a D1SC.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Hzgray wrote:I appreciate the feedback. I'll keep a lookout on Craiglist and forums for cheaper parts. Hopefully there will be some Black Friday deals too! Was surprised to hear aftermarket springs do not significantly improve handling. Are the sway bars the limiting factor to address first?
I found the lowering actually worsened the on center vagueness using stock alignment on my 2014. It also worsened the car's ability to absorb sharp impacts. However I wanted a cheap way to lower the car and H&R filled the bill at $230-ish shipped. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with the Chevy SS springs. I'm not saying the mod is bad but my point of reference is a C7 with Z51 track pack and MR shocks and an ATS-V with MR shocks and the Porsches before these so take my comments with a grain of salt.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

If you want the ultimate handling car as opposed to just one that looks super cool, I'd highly suggest using the OEM SS sedan springs and applicable struts. Its over $500 but not much and if you do the work youself you can be all done for $600 with alignment. I'd say you will also benefit from better quality if not larger tires, Camaro take offs in all kinds of sizes are plentiful. I got a great set locally for $300 that is the optional 19" on the RS model. came with 2 tires I bought 2 more and I'm just over your $1000 total with a Great handling and more important to me, RIDING car that looks in no way like the Police car it started as.
Hzgray

Post by Hzgray »

I've been thinking about the SS springs. Can you tell a difference in handling with these springs? Looks like they drop the car about 3/4 inch?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Yes, my car on the factory springs and 19" wheels was very rough over anything less than new pavement, now it just soaks up the junk, makes you able to go faster IMHO and feel it less... I'm sure there are people out there that will argue this to death but to me the combo of soft spring, shorter sidewall means you feel what the car is doing better not just feel the harshness.
Hzgray

Post by Hzgray »

Reading through the forum I saw that 2014 and 2015 SS rear springs have different rates. Assuming I leave the stock sway bar and shocks installed any preference between the two rear springs? Thx.