Incremental improvements on a budget

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Incremental improvements on a budget

Post by Navy Lifer »

The 2014 vs 2015 differences include:

2014 SS had standard (low pressure gas) shocks and a 28mm sway bar linked to the lower control arms "inboard" of the rear shocks

2015 SS added MRC shock absorbers

2015 & newer SS has a 25mm sway bar linked to the lower control arms "outboard" of the rear shocks--also requires some other changes to use.

I will assume that the change in rear spring rate is in response to the combination of other changes--the rate difference is, in reality, miniscule.

Do not make the decision on sway bar based on size alone--the larger diameter bar is easier to do, but it has it's own issues.

In other words, I don't think it will matter which spring is used--the rate for either is less than the Caprice PPV's, and ride behavior is much more friendly (compliant), yet not mushy. Dropping the car a little is a bonus. It doesn't require changing the sway bar to use either spring. In fact, unless the desire is for maximum "enhancement" (to SS specs), using the 2014-2017 PPV 26mm front bar (same as SS) combined with the 2014-2017 PPV 20mm rear bar (same as G8 GXP) could work pretty well and not require any changes to the rear link setup for 2011-2013 cars which have a 16mm rear bar.
Hzgray

Post by Hzgray »

Thanks Bill! Is there a go-to place for these parts? Looked online and saw decent prices but shipping was very high. I am in Hampton Roads area of Virginia if that makes a difference.
2013 9C3, DoD delete, BTR Stg 1, Kooks 1 7/8, Rotofab, 3.27 Diff, VMR 810 wheels (staggered), King Springs (lowered), oh and a D1SC.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I've got a friend in the area that should be able to help with a local dealer as far as getting good pricing. I don't know if it saves you any compared to the other options you're looking at, but local is always better, in case something is incorrect or needs to be returned.

PM me your e-mail and I'll make an introduction to my buddy there in the Tidewater area.
Hzgray

Post by Hzgray »

Email sent. Thanks
2013 9C3, DoD delete, BTR Stg 1, Kooks 1 7/8, Rotofab, 3.27 Diff, VMR 810 wheels (staggered), King Springs (lowered), oh and a D1SC.