Rear emergency brake shoe broken

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Rear emergency brake shoe broken

Post by Navy Lifer »

bluethunder wrote:I don't know how anyone could make such a lame parking brake assembly..
I'm not sure what is considered "lame"--the design is on MANY vehicles today, it is simple, effective, and light weight--small number of parts--and while it may not truly be an "emergency" brake, it does the job it is intended to do very well.

I've worked with this design since becoming an Impala SS owner, in 1996, and I've never had issues with the Banksia park brake or it's purpose/function.

The one thing I can say, from looking at literally hundreds of these, is that most of the damage this design can suffer is based on the car being driven with the park brake still set/applied.

What ever may have happened to cause the shoe failure in this case, I think the issue has to be with how it was used/mis-used/abused. Any pictures of the failed parts would be useful.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Funny... The shoes look a LOT like the ones for a 94-96 B-body. They built billions of those, yet the emergency brake shoes were stupid expensive (>$100, IIRC), yet you can get the ones for the 2011-2017 Caprice for about $75. :-/
The shoe looks like the one on the B-body because it is basically the same part--same rotor "drum" diameter of approximately 190mm. Common configuration with G8/SS/PPV and C5>C7 Corvette, and probably more. Pricing of the shoe(s) has improved as the design has become more prevalent.

In reality, if the shoe is adjusted correctly, and the system is used primarily as a parking brake (applied with the vehicle stopped), it will never wear out or require any significant adjustment. Cable stretch or failure is probably a bigger issue than the shoes wearing out. The shoe surface area is not designed for stopping the car like the old-school mechanical application of the rear drums that created the name "emergency" brakes. If the Banksia park brake IS used to stop the car, expect some damage, or actual/accelerated wear at the very least.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The problem we had with our '95 was a leaking axle seal. When that happens, gear oil fills the emergency brake 'drum' before letting you know it's leaking. :x
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

While not the park brakes' fault, the live axle cars do present a potential issue with contamination when axle shaft seals fail to do their job--better than contaminating the service (drum) brakes. No issue on IRS cars
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Well, maybe. With drum brakes, though, you'll usually smell the burning gear oil earlier on, before there's a puddle on the garage floor inside one of the rear tires. The damage is equally-done, the shoes need replacing along with the seal, but unless it's a sudden, catastrophic failure, you usually has some warning.

With drum e-brakes, which sometimes get seldom-used, that may not be the case. That, and usually a full set of drum brake shoes aren't anywhere near as expensive as these little e-brake shoes. I was shocked-and-awed when they plopped the box on the counter and told me the price. :shock:

But yeah, the IRS suspension is advantageous in this aspect. A leaking seal will be spraying gear oil on the exhaust, so you should get early warning. ;)
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
bluethunder

Post by bluethunder »

its still a lame design
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

smwalker wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:03 pm Here is some links for perusing:

This one does not mention the hub:
Parking Brake Shoe Replacement #1

This one does:
Parking Brake Shoe Replacement #2

Some info at the bottom for putting the caliper back on:
Rear Brake Rotor R&R

Then the procedure for adjusting the parking brake:
For the 9C3
For the 9C1
Is the adjustment procedure still available? The link is broken and the pedal in my car goes to the floor with nothing happening at the shoe.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

When I did my rear brakes one of my shoes just fell apart. The friction material was separated from the backing plate in chunks. They didn't look like they were ever used by previous owner. No signs of wear. I have never used the parking/emergency brake and just removed it. In fact I don't think I have ever used the parking brake in the past 20 years on any automatic I have owned. Usually the cables are always rusted to nothing.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

smwalker wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:16 pm 9C3 Adjustment

9C1 Adjustment
You're the man, thank you!