Brakes Squealing when cold

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Buck531

Brakes Squealing when cold

Post by Buck531 »

This going to sound pretty stupid but i'm pretty stumped. I bought these drilled/slotted rotors off ebay last month (front and rear) : https://www.ebay.com/itm/393050652286?s ... 2749.l2649 and now when I back the car out of the garage the damn brakes squeal like a pig. Then when I go to drive down my street (10 mph) and hit the brakes it seems that they ALL squeal when coming to a stop. It only happens for the first few minutes and then it goes away when it's warmed up.

I took off the rear pads and lubed the slides where the pads sit in and it still does it (only when it's cold and the car hasn't been started in say 8 or so hours).

Also, I bought the front set first and then it was fine for a month then bought the rears after the rotors and pads were trashed. Didn't squeal at first when backing up for a good 3 weeks and now all of the sudden it's doing it.

Any ideas? I'm not a noob at cars. I've done pads/rotors for cars for 22 years now and never ran into something like this.

Another note, the front pads/rotors did not come with new hardware for the pads. I had to re-use the stock stuff. The rears, came with new hardware and I used it. Should I put the old hardware back on and see what happens?

TIA.
'12 Caprice 6.0. Roto-fab intake. Camaro SS 20" wheels.
87 Fiero. 3800 Swapped. cam, head, headers, Gen V, etc 11.75 @ 116
Ridgeppv

Re: Brakes Squealing when cold

Post by Ridgeppv »

If they work when you apply the brake. Then that is good news. And when they warm up, the noise stops.
But, just because they are slotted rotors do not mean they are good and brake motive as a company has little to no reviews on their products. So it seems you get what you pay for in this case.
Like I said in the beginning if the vehicle stops your good and just let them warm up, but you can always try new hardware.
2014 6.0L BTR Stage 2 Cam, DOD Delete, 3.45 diff, long tube headers, VCM OTR Intake
Buck531

Post by Buck531 »

I did see a lot of reviews from their other products though. Yeah I get the part where "you get what you pay for". I guess I could try to find the old hardware and put that stuff back on because the fronts still have the old and it doesn't seem to squeal.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid that I'm missing. I mean. it's a brake job, not rocket science.
Buck531

Post by Buck531 »

Ended up taking all the pads off the car. Ran them on the workbench on some 60 grit paper. Lubed the slides, back of the pads, etc. No more squeal. Pic below was one of the drivers rear. ooooof.

Ebay gonna ebay I guess.
Attachments
PXL_20220206_173126007.jpg
PXL_20220206_173126007.jpg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 727 times