New Caprice - Discussion forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner online support system for the Chevrolet Caprice PPV
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Soften Up the Ride
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 pm 

holden parts usa is currently putting together a order for king springs

they currently just got a stock order of their SSSL springs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:04 pm 

Thanks everyone for all the great info on this. Two things I have...

1. Does anyone know the difference between Monroe's "severe duty" and regular struts?

2. Besides replacing the front strut mounts (went with SuperPro mounts), any other "must do" replacements while everything is apart? - '11 9C3 has a few ticks over 70K miles (I'm going to '14 SS springs)

Thanks

2013 Camaro SS M6 "Panther"
2003 GMC Sierra SLE
2001 Ski Doo GT500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:53 pm 

In the rear there is a ton of rubber bushings that can be converted over to poly versions with 70k you may have a lot of wear on your stock ones, lotta people seem to go for the upper rear control arm pivot which is a total PIA to change out unless you drop the cradle a bit. The Z/28 design factory control rods are a good upgrade while keeping rubber parts and strangely there is a dorman version of the toe rod which uses the upgrade design and bushing but its super cheap.
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-78912-524-564.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 pm 
Administration Staff

20129C1 wrote:
Thanks everyone for all the great info on this. Two things I have...

1. Does anyone know the difference between Monroe's "severe duty" and regular struts?

2. Besides replacing the front strut mounts (went with SuperPro mounts), any other "must do" replacements while everything is apart? - '11 9C3 has a few ticks over 70K miles (I'm going to '14 SS springs)

Thanks

Just hit 72K on my 2011 9C3....

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is any other Monroe listing other than the Severe Service version.

Here's what I can tell you....early PPV (2011) had harshly-valved front struts, which were changed for 2012. Rear shocks were a running change in 2011 (VIN break is published in parts book, I recall). The 2nd design OE shock & strut ONLY work on 2011-2013 (WM) cars due to the revised front knuckle design on WN--not sure what is different at the rear.

All OE PPV struts/shocks are supplie by Monroe and produced in Australia. I have been wanting to find out what, if anything, is different in the valving of the Monroe-branded/boxed aftermarket Severe Service parts and the OE parts supplied by Monroe.

I just drove Scott Walker's 2nd PPV, which has the Monroe S/S struts & shocks, and a set of Pedders springs, (PN 2956 & 2957), and while it isn't "broken in" yet, the combination had a VERY controlled, "tied down" feel, which I liked very much, compared to the OE SS springs and OE 2nd design shocks I'm running....but I don't know whether it's the shocks or the springs that make the difference--perhaps a bit of both.