Brembo front calipers using 345mm PPV rotors

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
s/c'd cav

Re: Brembo front calipers using 345mm PPV rotors

Post by s/c'd cav »

be carefull ordering that 6th gen brembo kit , its been discontinued and hasnt been available for along time

also the part # has changed a couple times
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

I have not kept up on all the Brembo stuff (in terms of what fits under stock steelies, etc.) but would this be a better alternative (bearing in mind OP was looking to purchase something new anyhow)?

https://zzperformance.com/collections/l ... -brake-kit

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

That kit is designed for G8 - difference is that the calipers in the kit are for G8 knuckles, with 12mm mounting bolts. PPV uses 14mm mounting bolts, so the kit COULD be used, but would require either modifying the calipers (enlarge & re-tap mounting holes on caliper) or using bushings in the knuckles to reduce the hole size to 12mm.

The 345 caliper fits directly on the PPV rotor, and uses 14mm bolts.

The 10mm difference in rotor size, even though the 355's are 32mm thick vs 345's at 30mm, is a little misleading, as the PPV rotor actually has greater mass (weighs more, offering greater thermal capacity).

Also, while it's understood that drilled/slotted sells, it really isn't all the "sliced bread" vendors try to make it. Solid rotors, or slotted only, if new rotors are needed--that's my recommendation.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Thanks for the clarifying the issues with this one, Bill.

And there is also a choice for just normal rotors (hyperlink defaulted to CD/S). I agree, I do not care for drilled, but I will take slotted.

Lots of reading I need to do here...

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Maxspeed96ct

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

so it looks like the 6th gen kit is the best bang for the buck for the front, what about the rear ? anything that mounts on the stock ppv rotors?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

Maxspeed96ct wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:48 pm so it looks like the 6th gen kit is the best bang for the buck for the front, what about the rear ? anything that mounts on the stock ppv rotors?
the kit is DISCONTINUED
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

s/c'd cav wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:18 pm
Maxspeed96ct wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:48 pm so it looks like the 6th gen kit is the best bang for the buck for the front, what about the rear ? anything that mounts on the stock ppv rotors?
the kit is DISCONTINUED
I think you're referring to the front kit...yes it IS discontinued, but kits keep surfacing in various inventory locations around the country....but can't last too much longer. It is a "steal" if one can be located!

For the rear, there is nothing commonly available to work with the stock 324mm rotor--the only option for a better rear brake on Zeta sedan platform is the 15-17 SS 360mm rotor & Brembo caliper. Aftermarket can always come up with something, but the factory solution is best.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Googling that part number (23245470) returns a multitude of sites still offering it. For all around 400.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

It's a bargain because the cost of a new pair of these calipers (like from Rock Auto) plus the OEM high performance pads alone is going to cost at least what the Chevy Performance Parts kit costs....and they won't have the Chevy red paint job. Then you can sell the rotors to an Alpha Camaro SS owner to recoup some of the kit cost--they are slotted left & right with a unique pattern.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

Navy Lifer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:38 pm
s/c'd cav wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:18 pm
the kit is DISCONTINUED
I think you're referring to the front kit...yes it IS discontinued, but kits keep surfacing in various inventory locations around the country....but can't last too much longer. It is a "steal" if one can be located!

For the rear, there is nothing commonly available to work with the stock 324mm rotor--the only option for a better rear brake on Zeta sedan platform is the 15-17 SS 360mm rotor & Brembo caliper. Aftermarket can always come up with something, but the factory solution is best.
according to my OEC search , there is ZERO inventory at any of their warehouses , as well any dealerships

alot of those catalog parts places on line are barely trustworthy at best

as well the part # has changed a couple times since it was posted and all say discontinued