Sway Bar Bushing/Endlink Torque

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
lastcall190

Sway Bar Bushing/Endlink Torque

Post by lastcall190 »

Title states. I have some endlinks on order, and will have to order up some bushings. Anybody have any idea what spec is on the brackets that hold the bushings to the frame? Gutentight? I figure for the endlinks I'll just find what spec is for the G8 and do the same (I suppose I could just do the same for the bushings as well)

Bar is moving a fair bit and when I put force on it from under the car, I can feel a clunk... links are cheap and probably 95k miles worth of beat to hell. Thanks.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Sway Bar Bushing/Endlink Torque

Post by smwalker »

And do not tighten the clamp bolts with an impact gun. They will break. Ask me how I know!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Excellent, thank you very much! Huge help.

I only had a quick look at the bushings, but I couldn't fathom getting any more than a wrench in there, let alone a gun. Maybe I should look again :lol:

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Oh yea, I had the cradle out of the car and the engine out of the cradle so I had all the room in the world to go hog wild on it!

Stick to the wrench!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Ahhh that'll do it!
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Got the links replaced last weekend. With a solid chunk of time instead of back and forth through the day, probably could have done it in about 45 minutes. Very easy and the Mood units are quite nice.

Another question if anyone is looking: Do you have part numbers for the stock sway bar bushing? I see on GMPartsDirect it has numbers for EVERY SINGLE PIECE of the front bar (links, nuts, clamshell, nuts for that, bar itself) EXCEPT the bushing. From searching it looks like 24mm so worst case I guess I'll just get a universal jobber from Energy Suspension or the like. I am trying to just get my arms around all the front suspension "issues" so to speak, and this is next on the chopping block. The bar moves quite easily inside of the worn bushings, feel as though it might be contributing to a constant clunk.

EDIT: If anyone is searching and finds this thread, GM P/N looks to be 92220993 for the front stabilizer bar bushing ($8 at my local dealer, doesn't even pay to get online as I spend less this way). 92257368 for the bracket. Bracket shows as cross referencing to the G8, bushing is different size (thanks Navy Lifer for putting in a thread I found via search). Just wanted to update for future reference.

EDIT #2: Do not buy what rockauto has on their site for the dorman piece (for sway bar bushings). It's not even close, I have no idea why they put it there, but I have been having interesting luck as of late with not having appropriate parts when they are listed as fitting the car.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI