Brembo brake conversion Chapter 37

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
20129C1

Brembo brake conversion Chapter 37

Post by 20129C1 »

My apologies if already covered (pretty sure it has been), but I couldn't find the thread.

In the middle of a brake conversion. I'm using a complete Brembo brake set-up from a '17 SS (pads, rotors, calipers, and new brake lines from Technafit). The vibration weights on the front pads are hitting the stock steel wheels. I have a set of 18" Holden wheels with a slightly larger offset which will be mounted.

Will this work or do I need to switch to a pad without the weights? I thought I read somewhere someone did the conversion and had to switch to a pad without but can't find it now. :roll:

Update - test fit the Holden wheel, still no good. Would it be out of the question to just cut the weights off? Or would that lead to vibration?
2007 Saudi/UAE Caprice
1993 Camaro B4C M6 Purple Pearl Metallic
1993 Camaro B4C A4 Medium Patriot Red
2013 Camaro SS M6 "Panther"
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Brembo brake conversion Chapter 37

Post by Navy Lifer »

You have 2 options--cut off the dampers on the existing pads, or obtain "correct" pads (FMSI spec D1001) found on 04-07 CTS-V or G8 GXP).

Cutting off the weights will not cause "vibration" per se--they weights are mass dampers designed to reduce the tendency for brake squeal, which in reality is vibration>>>sound.

To me, the more important question is whether the Holden wheel clears the (front) caliper without a spacer. Once the existing pad is modified or replaced by D1001, the radial clearance should be OK, but the back of wheel spoke to caliper body needs to be checked, too.

Try this--remove the pads, install the wheel, and check the spoke-to-caliper clearance. If you do this, just be sure you DO NOT step on the brake pedal before re-installing the pads!
20129C1

Post by 20129C1 »

Hi Bill,

Looks like there'll be room for the calipers. I'm pretty sure I'm going to cut the weights off and see how it works. Worst case I get replacement pads. I'll double check the clearance once everything is put back together and report back.

On a side note, the Technafit lines fit great!

Thanks
2007 Saudi/UAE Caprice
undrcvrppv

Post by undrcvrppv »

I changed the pads simple fix on my build
G8Guy

Post by G8Guy »

20129C1 wrote:My apologies if already covered (pretty sure it has been), but I couldn't find the thread.

In the middle of a brake conversion. I'm using a complete Brembo brake set-up from a '17 SS (pads, rotors, calipers, and new brake lines from Technafit). The vibration weights on the front pads are hitting the stock steel wheels. I have a set of 18" Holden wheels with a slightly larger offset which will be mounted.

Will this work or do I need to switch to a pad without the weights? I thought I read somewhere someone did the conversion and had to switch to a pad without but can't find it now. :roll:

Update - test fit the Holden wheel, still no good. Would it be out of the question to just cut the weights off? Or would that lead to vibration?
Did the PPV steel 18" wheel actually clear the Brembo calipers and only the little "vibration dampers" on the pads was hitting?
2009 G8
14 Chevy SS front and rear complete suspension swap
Brembo's
14 chevy SS wheels
Koni struts/Pedders springs
20129C1

Post by 20129C1 »

G8Guy wrote:
20129C1 wrote:Did the PPV steel 18" wheel actually clear the Brembo calipers and only the little "vibration dampers" on the pads was hitting?
G8,

Yes, the wheels cleared once the dampers were cut off.
2007 Saudi/UAE Caprice
Car-o-sexual

Post by Car-o-sexual »

What years of cts-v brakes will fit the caprice?
1998 GMC Sonoma 5.3 swap
1998 Chevrolet camaro
2013 Chevrolet caprice 9c1 dod delete stage 1 tsp cam
2000 chevrolet astro
1957 Chevrolet bel air coupe
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Car-o-sexual wrote:What years of cts-v brakes will fit the caprice?
I responded to your PM.

For anyone else contemplating the available options, there are a number of threads that discuss this in a fair amount of detail--here's a quick & dirty recap.

Brembo upgrade using Gen1 CTS-V or Zeta sedan/Camaro SS brakes:

CTS-V-1 Sigma (04-07) front & rear (4-piston calipers) - must "flip" rear calipers by swapping fluid transfer tube & bleeders

CTS-V-2 Sigma 2 front is 6 piston but will work with correct rotor

Use GXP, Camaro SS (10-15) or SS sedan 355mm front rotors and 15-17 SS sedan 360mm rear rotors
NOTE: the 360mm sedan rear rotor is the only option, since it has the correct size park brake drum diameter to fit PPV

For 6-piston front, use CTS-V or ZL1 370mm front rotors

If using CTS-V(1) or GXP front calipers, the mounting fastener threads are M12. PPV uses M14 fasteners, so it will be necessary to accommodate the size difference:

Option 1 - install bushings in the knuckle mounting holes and use M12 bolts to secure caliper to knuckle
Option 2 - drill & re-tap the mounting ears on the caliper and use M14 bolts to secure caliper to knuckle

I prefer & recommend Option 2.

The alternative to CTS-V/GXP for a Brembo 4-piston upgrade is to acquire calipers from either 2010-2015 Camaro SS or 2015-2017 Chevy SS sedan--it's direct bolt-up, other than trimming the rear rotor debris shields (for 360mm rotor).

There has been a more recent discussion about using Gen6 Camaro SS front (Brembo) calipers with the stock PPV 345mm rotors.
https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... =18&t=2778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Black6

Post by Black6 »

Bill you have a wealth of knowledge. I think it’s important to point out that there are differences on the 2007-2013 (WM) and the 2014–2017 (WN) cars suspension though.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but 100% of the information you put out is spot on for WM cars and most likely carries over to WN cars, but there are some differences.

WN cars have different suspension and are more akin to the VF (Chevrolet SS) suspension and the WM cars are more akin to the VE (G8) suspension. Whether that changes brake information I’m not sure. But I just want to point that out that someone with a WN car doesn’t see this WM information and say “hey this didn’t work.”

I am currently working on getting brakes on my WN. So hopefully soon I can do this swap and not have too many issues and report back. Last thing I’m currently needing is brembo bolts (bolting calipers to the car, just to be clear) for my calipers. Once I have those (I have full take off calipers and rotors, brake line bolts and Bills lines) I should be good to go once I get these bolts.
Last edited by Black6 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
20129C1

Post by 20129C1 »

Black6 wrote:Bill you have a wealth of knowledge. I think it’s important to point out that there are differences on the 2007-2013 (WM) and the 2014–2017 (WN) cars suspension though.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but 100% of the information you put out is spot on for WN cars and most likely carries over to WM cars, but there are some differences.

WM cars have different suspension and are more akin to the VF (Chevrolet SS) suspension and the WN cars are more akin to the VE (G8) suspension. Whether that changes brake information I’m not sure. But I just want to point that out that someone with a WM car doesn’t see this WN information and say “hey this didn’t work.”

I am currently working on getting brakes on my WM. So hopefully soon I can do this swap and not have too many issues and report back. Last thing I’m currently needing is brembo bolts (bolting calipers to the car, just to be clear) for my calipers. Once I have those (I have full take off calipers and rotors, brake line bolts and Bills lines) I should be good to go once I get these bolts.
Black6,

Isn't it the other way around or am I an idiot? :lol: I thought the older ('11-'13) generation Caprice (WM) was closer to the G8 (VE) and the newer ('14-'17) Caprice was closer to the SS(VF)?
2007 Saudi/UAE Caprice