Rear Toe Adjustment

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
lastcall190

Rear Toe Adjustment

Post by lastcall190 »

Quick question, did a search and found some info but not exactly what I was looking for (without crawling under the car right now which I can't do at work).

The alignment shops have told me that the rear toe adjustment is "frozen" and it's woefully out of whack (found a local G8 owner that recommended a place for alignment I will be going to since my car just hasn't been right). Does anyone know how the rear toe adjusts? I see that replacement toe-links look WAY different than what the parts diagram on gmpartsdirect.com shows.

vs

Are the bolts eccentric or something? I don't see any threaded sections or locking nuts like one might see on an adjustment aftermarket piece. Only trying to order the correct parts to get the car aligned CORRECTLY. Thanks for the help.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Sanford

Re: Rear Toe Adjustment

Post by Sanford »

It looks like there is a bolt with an eccentric washer on the inboard end of the adjustment link that is used to adjust the toe-in. It also looks like the bolt can be cut-off and replaced if it is rusted and will not come loose, IF one is still available from GM.

David
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Thank you. When I scrolled down further on the GMPDirect page, there was ANOTHER diagram that had a more similar part to the one I posted a picture of (from ebay). There is no bolt listed there but I'll see what I can find. I know there are rear camber/toe bolt kits from places like Wretched Motorsports that boast greater range of adjustment than stock. If my bolts are trashed, might as well grab them anyhow.

-J

EDIT: I will crawl under the car this weekend, and after reading more, I believe the shop probably meant the bolt itself was frozen. Well, worst case I have to cut it off, I will replace with something along this line if I can procure an OEM part:

https://g8only.com/product/spc-camber-b ... ee-offset/
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Sanford

Post by Sanford »

After I posted my reply, I thought about the possibility of the bolt being rusted up in the steel sleeve that is in the bushing, which would keep it from moving. I see you live where you probably see road salt during the winter. May have to cut both ends of the bolt off and spread the chassis apart a little to get the arm out.

David
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The prduction toe link does use an eccentric washer/bolt arrangement.

Aftermarket options:
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=pro ... &catid=236
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/TR002.pdf

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/3303498-post2.html

I used the Camaro links, which have sealed spherical bearings in place of the fixed bushings, offering better articulation, no binding. PN 22875567
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/gm ... gJuS_D_BwE
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Thanks all for the replies. I procured the SPC rear toe/camber adjustment bolts, and will advise the shop to replace the toe bolts on each side and the camber bolts if they are equally as shot (that alignment spec was correct so they should be fine and they come as a set anyhow). Also grabbed the Pedders front knuckle bolts and nuts to replace the stock TTY (not sure how many times they have been reused, but figure for 20 bucks for all four nuts/bolts why the hell not). With any luck I will be able to get the car dialed in.

Bill, thanks for the link on the Camaro parts.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

What are you using for the actual aligment specs? I remember finding something from G8 world with good info on what the numbers should be set at and the place I used got it right on using mostly stock parts other than the SS springs.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2165

I am going to bring that sheet with me when I go (I have the sheets the shop gave me somewhere, no idea what they were using. They weren't perplexed by the car so they must have referenced "something" in the system...). Right now I'm stock height on stock parts (for now), but the rear toe is way out along with the front camber (I don't think the previous shops I used had any clue about the adjuster screw at the top of the knuckle).

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Thanks for the link/reading material.

-J