Brake Speculation

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
CrazyIvan

Re: Brake Speculation

Post by CrazyIvan »

Navy Lifer wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:18 pm
CrazyIvan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:13 am
So let me gather my thoughts off this then.

Getting a NEW set of OEM Banjo bolts for the Brembo's will be acceptable. But in reality what should be used? the OEM from the camaro? I see this being a Banjo-Hose issue but unsure if that will make a difference if the PPV works so should the Brembo OEM one as well unless the Banjo hose end is taller or shorter.

With the pads stating that one or another having the damper can cause issues using OEM Steel wheels. The pads that are the 1001's any pad based on that should be ok. As I don't think I want to run into an issue with spacing. I was considering a Hawk pad or OEM. But I am seeing mixed answers on if the OEM Brembo pads work.
OK, so I realize there's another detail I may not have shared.....with OEM steel PPV wheels, both versions of the Brembo front caliper/rotor will work. The difference is that I do not think the larger (1st gen caliper/355mm rotor) will clear the OEM wheel using the D1474 pads, as the dampers extend above the caliper body (radially). So, for a 355mm setup, the D1001 pads would be appropriate for an 18" wheel.

For the smaller (2nd gen caliper/345mm rotor) I've not heard that the D1474A (small damper) pads won't work with the OEM steel wheel, but they can always be cut off, or D1001 pads can be used. I'm certain the original D1474 "roller skate" pads would not be suitable for 18" OEM wheels.

The whole damper "thing" started with the 2010 Camaro SS, which had 20" wheels standard, so there were no clearance issues with the original D1474 "roller skate" pads. Dampers on the pads are for mitigation of a brake noise/squeal situation that the Brembo combination has shown a tendency toward.

OEM pads for CTS-V1 or G8 GXP are the D1001 "no-damper" version, and are Brembo sourced, with the Ferodo HP1000 friction material. The other option is the pads from XTS Cadillac or C7 Corvette meeting D1001/D1050 spec. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 89&jsn=465

For clarification:
D1001 & D1050 are the same as for fitment by OEM application - no dampers
D1474 & D1474A are OEM application specific, based on wheel size - with larger or small dampers for clearance

As for the "banjo" bolts, both TechnaFit and Goodridge include new bolts and seal gaskets in their kits.
So A correct pad option for the Gen 6 Camaro caliper swap would be the non Damper versions. Like the XTS Pads that were linked correct?
CrazyIvan

Post by CrazyIvan »

Sorry what I meant to say by that is the pads that you referred to. Those would be with the 18" steel wheels in mind, the correct pads without dampers to use with the gen 6 camaro calipers correct?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

First, since you have not specifically stated (unless I missed it) that you are absolutely staying with the OEM steel wheels - the full scenario is like this:

For 18" wheels, pad choice follows which brake package is being used determines pad options.

- If running 345 rotors & Alpha calipers, you can use pad D1474A (small dampers) as well as D1001

- If running 355 rotors & Zeta calipers, pad D1001 is required.

Once the wheel size moves up to 19", pad D1474A clears with the 355/Zeta caliper package - standard on 14-17 SS sedan

With 20" wheels on Zeta (10-15) Camaro SS, the original D1474 roller skate pads were standard. Even though Alpha (16-20) Camaro SS has 20" wheels, D1474A pads are now spec.

Hope that answers your question!
CrazyIvan

Post by CrazyIvan »

Its stock 18 with the gen 6 camaro rotors. And stock rotor. I ordered some R1 geo and now the goodridge lines from vivid. As I am doing this I plan on doing a full write up for the front then doing the backs after. Also adding it to the ppv vs the world page.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I hope you meant to say "stock 18 with the gen 6 Camaro CALIPERS and stock rotor"

Not sure what you are referring to R1 geo - rotors or pads?

Just to be clear about rear Brembos - the Gen6 configuration (339mm rotor) is not compatible with Zeta sedan rear suspension - doing rear Brembo conversion is a matter of the "early" (Gen5 Camaro & CTS-V1) calipers and the 360mm rotor from 15-17 SS sedan.

PPV vs The World - something on Facebook? Not familiar with it.
CrazyIvan

Post by CrazyIvan »

Navy Lifer wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:03 am I hope you meant to say "stock 18 with the gen 6 Camaro CALIPERS and stock rotor"

Not sure what you are referring to R1 geo - rotors or pads?

Just to be clear about rear Brembos - the Gen6 configuration (339mm rotor) is not compatible with Zeta sedan rear suspension - doing rear Brembo conversion is a matter of the "early" (Gen5 Camaro & CTS-V1) calipers and the 360mm rotor from 15-17 SS sedan.

PPV vs The World - something on Facebook? Not familiar with it.
Lol Yes sir. I meant to say Caliper.

The Geo Met Carbon Rotors from R1. Pads I think I am still looking at. But if those you linked me are a suitable pad I do like the OEMs as I use them on my CTS-V.

It is a page on FB. it is new and like the CTS-V Vs the world page it's a new page for the performance minded to go and collect all the info publicly for those go fast types.