Brake Speculation

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Gerome

Re: Brake Speculation

Post by Gerome »

Thanks you answered my question with your reply .
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Starting to check inventory and tally parts for this project on our Caprice. The guy who sent me the CTS-V calipers also sent an assortment of brake hardware and hoses, as well as a set of Performance Friction pads front and rear. So that will help the budget, some. What DOESN'T help the budget is the rear rotors! H0ly C@rp!! GM units are $140, EACH, and they're the cheaper of the other vendors!! Looks like I'm all-in at about $610, so far.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

CrashTestDummy wrote:What DOESN'T help the budget is the rear rotors! H0ly C@rp!! GM units are $140, EACH, and they're the cheaper of the other vendors!! Looks like I'm all-in at about $610, so far.
Where are you shopping? Take a look at Rock Auto

Centric 120-62147
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 65&jsn=436" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$52.79 each....and 5% discount if you put in the code

Your discount code is: 5629330547600308

How to Use Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How Did You Hear About Us?" space on the checkout page (above your payment information). Do not enter any other text in that space or the discount will not apply.

Please note: Discount only valid for orders placed online. Code must be entered before order is submitted.

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on March 13, 2017 so don't wait!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Thanks, Bill. That's quite a discount. I guess I'll have to start accumulating parts sooner, than later.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Maybe I missed this, but for those going to V2 calipers, were you able to reuse your OE brake lines or did you have to use something else? I ask because my PPV only has 708 miles on it and my V2 brakes are coming off my 53k mile V2 parts car so I've got those lines available as well.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

eagle-co94 wrote:Maybe I missed this, but for those going to V2 calipers, were you able to reuse your OE brake lines or did you have to use something else? I ask because my PPV only has 708 miles on it and my V2 brakes are coming off my 53k mile V2 parts car so I've got those lines available as well.
yeah also curious. i just pulled the trigger on a full Zl1 setup
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I'm not able to say (as OP) since I've still not installed the Brembo setup--but, from what I can see, there should be no issue making the OE hoses work.

There is very little difference between a PPV rear hose and the 2015-2017 SS (Brembo) rear hose. I have not compared fronts, so all bets are off--the 2014-2017 SS with Brembo front may have a slight difference in the bracket, but I doubt if it's a show-stopper....worth a try to see if it works, and in the meantime I'll try to get a look at the PPV OE front and compare to the SS front--there will be a left & right front version/PN, and don't remember as far as rear, and will need to look it up.

I do know that the aftermarket kits only identify rear hoses, and are not side-specific.

Aftermarket from Rock Auto (Centric & Dorman rubber hoses)

SS rear--also listed for PPV:
2014 -
Buyer's Guide :
BOTH SIDES
CENTRIC 15062459 Hydraulic Hose
CHEVROLET
CAPRICE
2011-2017
CHEVROLET
SS

2015-2017 - http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 65&jsn=540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SS front: (listing suggests these will work on PPV, so that means PPV will work with Brembo)
(all years) - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chev ... +hose,1792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buyer's Guide :
LEFT
CENTRIC 15062184 Hydraulic Hose
CHEVROLET
CAPRICE
2012-2017
CHEVROLET
SS
2014-2017

RIGHT
CENTRIC 15062183 Hydraulic Hose
CHEVROLET
CAPRICE
2012-2017
CHEVROLET
SS
2014-2017
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

Alll the hoses work. Just about done with the ZL1 brake conversion. Front are literally a direct bolt on. Turns out the rears need a spacer to go between the caliper and spindle. 15-17 SS rear rotors do not work as they are much to small. I know some one said that the emergency brake won't work now with the ZL1/Cts-V rear rotors but the clearances on my car make it look promising. A Good Samaritan put me in contact with some one who has the brackets left over from a G8. I'll keep every one updated and post photos later!
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

S13REMI wrote:Alll the hoses work. Just about done with the ZL1 brake conversion. Front are literally a direct bolt on. Turns out the rears need a spacer to go between the caliper and spindle. 15-17 SS rear rotors do not work as they are much to small. I know some one said that the emergency brake won't work now with the ZL1/Cts-V rear rotors but the clearances on my car make it look promising. A Good Samaritan put me in contact with some one who has the brackets left over from a G8. I'll keep every one updated and post photos later!
Need some clarification on your comments, please.

1. All the hoses work--what are you stating here? All of the OE (rubber) PPV hoses work for a Brembo conversion, or something else?

2. Rears need a spacer between caliper & spindle--can you fill in the blanks on this? Rears--calipers, rotors, both....what sort of spacers?

3. 15-17 SS rotors too small--they're 360mm, in fact--what about them is too small?

4. If you are using Camaro or CTS-V rear rotors (365mm), then it is true that the park brake shoe is "too small" to work correctly with that rotor. The 15-17 SS sedan rear rotor made it unnecessary to use the Camaro rotors.

Did your car end up with a complete Camaro rear cradle/differential and suspension? If so, I might understand more of what you're saying.

Otherwise, in spite of your comments, the 15-17 SS sedan rear rotors absolutely do fit on the PPV, and no "spacers" of any sort are required.
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

Navy Lifer wrote:
S13REMI wrote:Alll the hoses work. Just about done with the ZL1 brake conversion. Front are literally a direct bolt on. Turns out the rears need a spacer to go between the caliper and spindle. 15-17 SS rear rotors do not work as they are much to small. I know some one said that the emergency brake won't work now with the ZL1/Cts-V rear rotors but the clearances on my car make it look promising. A Good Samaritan put me in contact with some one who has the brackets left over from a G8. I'll keep every one updated and post photos later!
Need some clarification on your comments, please.

1. All the hoses work--what are you stating here? All of the OE (rubber) PPV hoses work for a Brembo conversion, or something else?

2. Rears need a spacer between caliper & spindle--can you fill in the blanks on this? Rears--calipers, rotors, both....what sort of spacers?

3. 15-17 SS rotors too small--they're 360mm, in fact--what about them is too small?

4. If you are using Camaro or CTS-V rear rotors (365mm), then it is true that the park brake shoe is "too small" to work correctly with that rotor. The 15-17 SS sedan rear rotor made it unnecessary to use the Camaro rotors.

Did your car end up with a complete Camaro rear cradle/differential and suspension? If so, I might understand more of what you're saying.

Otherwise, in spite of your comments, the 15-17 SS sedan rear rotors absolutely do fit on the PPV, and no "spacers" of any sort are required.
In regards to my intital post I am doing a ZL1 brake conversion on my caprice. What I have found so far is the following. The front calipers and rotors bolt right up on our cars, and can use the factory brake hoses on our cars.

The rear is where I ran into trouble. The off set of the ZL1 rotor does not work with the ZL1 caliper and our stock spindle. There is about a 1/2" space between Caliper and spindle when the Caliper is centered on the rotor.
I picked up a set of 15 SS rear rotors from Advance (assuming they gave me the correct parts) the rotor's diameter was about an inch to small. I should have snagged a picture. The spacing of the rotor was perfect and would have allowem me to bolt the calipers right to the knuckle though.

LOOKING INTO THIS FURTHER I THINK I WAS GIVEN THE WRONG PARTs
edit again they gave me the right part according to their computers. I think their computers are wrong. The description of the part says its only 12.7 inches as apposed to the 13.7ish the ZL1 rear rotors are
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/car ... tor+-+rear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;