Coilovers

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Coilovers

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I finally got the BCs in. The install instructions are horrible, at best. Really. They are a literal-translation from Taiwanese! While they do note that their instructions should supplement the factory service manual, I'm thinking that you're almost better off using the pages from the instructions that came with the coil-overs to keep the dirt and road grime off your hands when you change them out. After reading the install instructions, I'm actually MORE confused. :shock:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
BMR Sales

Post by BMR Sales »

[quote="Navy Lifer"][quote="CrashTestDummy"]This:

Here's what I found:

Super Pro (via BMR) – have not asked BMR what the difference is other than price.....
http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=products ... superpro=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=products ... superpro=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get the better of the two Elastomer is much better than Poly-Last. Also the sleeves are heavier duty.
We also have the Elastomer Version under the BMR Name, but you need to buy the Bearings separately - BK025 Total Price comes out to $180
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=prod ... superpro=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bringing this one back up. We've made space in the shop, and I have time off, so we're going to tackle the install this week. I've seen a couple of install threads on the G8 forum, but am wondering if anyone here knows of any that are real good? The install instructions that come with the BC coil overs are useless! Thanks for any help.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Does ANYONE have the nearly-useless install instructions for BC Coilovers?!? The order of the parts at the top for the fronts are confusing me. They seem to be different than the OEM struts. I think I got all the parts, and they may be in the correct order, but I can find NO useful instructions on them, other than 'it's important to make sure you get the order correct.'

I saw a page of install instructions, once, but don't remember if they were with the used kit I bought, or if I found it online somewhere. Either way, that paper has gone AWOL. HELP, please.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I finally found my paperwork, which included the install instructions. When we get this project done, and get the papers back at the house, I'll scan and post the offending page. Not much else in the instruction booklet is useful.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

Cool- more pics of the project as it progresses would be good too!
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Well, not much of a WIP, but we've been making some progress. It's going a TON slower than I thought it should, but we're getting there. The set I got was missing the upper spring bearing. In the online notes I was reading regarding installing the coilovers, it indicated that when you take the front strut apart, the bearing WILL explode. Well, it did. The housing was in decent shape, and I managed to retrieve all of the little bearings, so I cleaned it, and put it back together. Not bad, but I did check with our local parts house, and discovered that that bearing comes in an upper strut mount kit, so I picked up two. I now have a spare should the need arise.

The other side front strut I did not disassemble, as you should have all of the required parts with the kit. That's all back together now, and we're proceeding to the rear.

The online notes say you have to remove the strut top from inside the trunk. Well, that's NOT the case on a Caprice. It has everything contained in a 'strut module', which comes out with 4 bolts up top, and the rear mount bolt at the bottom. The FSM says you need to remove the lower control arm bolt, which I did, and it made the removal possible. I'm not sure it will come out any other way.

We now have the left rear strut out:

That's where the day ended yesterday. Today, we hope to finish the install, so we can get the car on the ground and get the ride height and alignment set.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Well, that turned into a big bucket of suck!

While G8 coilovers 'fit' a Caprice, they're definitely NOT drop-in. The rear coilovers adjust from the top, like the fronts. Since there's an opportunity for one to not have direct access to the top of the rear coilover, there is a 'remote adjuster' that's included with the kit. I think on the G8, and others, like the Camaro, one drills a hole into the trunk to access the adjuster via the remote adjuster. Well, on the Caprice, the coilover with the remote adjuster in place will NOT fit in the car, unless, that is, you cut a big enough hole to fit the 1" diameter adjuster, too. Don't forget to oval the hole so you have room for suspension movement!

So, after I drilled a hole in the floor of the trunk big enough to allow the remote adjuster cable to be inserted, then discovered that the hole wouldn't allow the WHOLE remote adjuster assembly to fit, out came the strut, and in I went with a die grinder. The hole was already too big to allow me to use a hole saw, as the hole wouldn't stabilize the pilot bit. About an hour later, and several test fits, we had a hole big enough to fit the adjuster.

That finally went in, and we have ONE coilover installed on the driver's side:

That's the days success. We started at about 1130, and finished up around 1700 (had to get in to watch today's Dakar Rally review). We started working on the passenger's side, and got it out before we got an alert that my credit card had been used to run up >$3000.00 at Bloomingdales and Nordstroms, so that pretty much brought an end to the day's activities. I'm not sure we'll be taking the car to the January Solo event we have scheduled for Sunday, but I need the car done by Monday P.M. so I can drive in to work the next day.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

you really need to have a conversation with Scott (novadeuce) and/or Alex Walker, his adult son, about the BC coil-over install on their PPV.

I know...."now you tell me"!!!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Indeed. I was hoping they'd see my plight here and offer up some info, but I guess they're not on here often. We're down to one left before dropping the car on the scales. I hope to at least get the car together today, and maybe start getting the alignment done tomorrow afternoon. We have an autocross event tomorrow, which I was hoping to take the car to, but I don't think we'll be that far along with it. We still have to cover plants in preparation of some record low temps here this afternoon, too, so we'll be doing that while it's still 'warm' outside.

The first line of one of the How-Tos I read on the G8 forum was 'pay somebody else to do this, it was a real PITA'. I should have headed that caution!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?