SS Sedan Springs under the 2011 Caprice PPV

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: SS Sedan Springs under the 2011 Caprice PPV

Post by Navy Lifer »

xcidmigs wrote:Bill,
Are you saying the later style sub frame bushing is different on the PPV? I tried to use the BMR sub frame inserts on my 2011 and found out that the OEM PPV ones I have are not what is used in the camaro/G8 chassis at all, those have big empty spaces in them which the BMR insert cleverly goes into to tighten things up. The PPV ones have no such empty space so maybe that's what you refer to? Sounds like there would be little to improve short of having worn ones replaced with new or a complete poly replacement which I don't think most would be interested in.
To clarify, what model year is your PPV?

The OE cradle bushing PN's are different between WM (2011-2013) and WN (2014-2017)....and what I'm going to determine is whether the later part will backfit to the "early" cars. I like and typically prefer OE solutions, unless there are provable improvements using something else. Not knocking any aftermarket supplier, BMR included--I've got some of their parts sitting on the shelf and how this works out may determine whether I use them.
xcidmigs wrote:
cal30_sniper wrote: Whats the advantage to the 1LE control arms? Was the swap so you could run wider rims, or do they have some kind of improved suspension geometry?
They have a different stiffer rubber bushing and also have a 2nd attachment point for the newer style rear anti roll bar but still also has the original style so you can reuse if you wish since the newer bar is much wider and interferes with the OEM PPV rear brake caliper. Oddly GM sells them new as a "kit" which comes with both and is way cheaper than buying a new single OEM one.
I'm not sure what actual impact the bushing plays, but won't deny it's different from the sedan bushing, which is a service part, unlike on the Camaro arms. The arm kit wasn't about that bushing, rather it was about the bar mounting method for a 1LE conversion for an early (2010-2011) Camaro--they're the standard production control arm for all 2012-2015 Camaros, AFAIK, and are actually pretty inexpensive individually, but the kit with 2 arms is still best--especially compared to sedan rear control arms, which are much more costly.

That the control arms happen to fit the sedan chassis is almost an accident....the ONE thing yet to determine (Maurice is working on this) is to determine whether my eyeballs did not deceive me when I stated that the position of the lower shock mounting bolt holes is slightly higher on the Camaro arms (ie. raising the rear of the car slightly)--which CAN be an issue for a car that's already higher than many of us prefer it to be. If I wasn't so cheap, I would buy the 2015-2017 SS sedan rear lower control arms and not worry about it, but, as noted, the inner bushing is NOT like the setup used on the Camaro kit arms., if that matters.

Interesting book you linked.
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

Bill,
After reading all seven pages I believe that all I need to lower my 2012 PPV is a set of 2014 SS springs on my current struts set to stock 2012 alignment specs. Is this correct? Just making sure prior to ordering parts.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I think any of the SS springs, 2014-2017 will work.

(2014 front)
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... oil-spring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(2015-2017 front) with MRC shocks, but they WILL fit
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... oil-spring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(2014 rear) NOTE: with 2014 rear sway bar configuration

(2015-2017 rear) NOTE: with 2015-2017 rear sway bar configuration and MRC shocks--again, they WILL fit
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... tion=right" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There could be some "consumables"....considering the age & mileage of the car, going to the effort of changing the springs raises the question of whether any rubber parts (spring insulators) should be renewed, and there is the very real question of the condition of the front strut upper mount & bearing. Since the car is 5 model years "old", regardless of mileage, you would do well to consider replacing theses parts, as they are known to give up fairly quickly. The strut assemblies will be apart, and this would be a good time to replace them. I would even think about renewing the struts themselves, whether there may be aftermarket options for them, I've not really considered. Koni has struts, I believe, for example.

SS struts (2014) cannot be used on WM (2011-2013) PPV due to the difference in front knuckle clevis mount width. They MIGHT work with a spacer in the clevis to make up the width difference. There may be other differences I'm not aware of that would prevent their use, but I'm only saying this as a caution--they could be fine with the spacer mentioned, but I have not confirmed anything. 2015-2017 SS struts/shocks are an issue since they are MRC components, and would require integration of that entire system to work--not even possible to consider unless you've got an HSV pocketbook and could get the parts.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... ommended=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... ommended=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... -insulator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

Thanks Bill. I'll have to re-evaluate my parts list.

BTW-Still having a blast with the suspension you spec'd for NADACOP.

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

While there are multiple threads and posts that touch on this, I just wanted to add to others' observation about how much more pleasant the PPV is to drive with the changeover to SS springs and 2nd design (front) struts....the difference is remarkable.

I'm running a 19" wheel with 255/40 tires and 35-36 PSI all around. The car was not nearly as comfortable with the stock PPV springs, no matter what pressure I ran--sometimes it was as low as 32 PSI cold.

I did take measurements, and found the front was about 11/16" lower. The rear was affected by the modified rear lower control arms I made (from the 1LE arm kit), and the rear dropped by (I think) 1-5/16", which, in relation to the front, was too much. I reversed the oval-shaped "slugs" to raise the rear, and the final product is acceptable to me--I lost the reference measurement, so I can't give you a final number. I can take some pictures and post them--sort of waiting to see if any settling occurs.

I do still need to install the late (2015 & newer) rear sway bar, which is why I used the 1LE rear lower arms in the first place. It requires a modification to add new/stronger mounts for the cradle clamps for the sway bar.
http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... c7c#p12971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will start a new thread to document this, and I'll provide photos and as much info as possible for anyone who decides to do this mod.
Attachments
before rear shock/spring installed
before rear shock/spring installed
modified rear lower control arm for height adjustment.JPG (50.91 KiB) Viewed 14600 times
undercar view showing both modified lower control arms
undercar view showing both modified lower control arms
rear looking forward - lower arm mod.JPG (34.94 KiB) Viewed 14600 times
originally the oval slugs were in the low position--car was too low, so the slugs were flipped to the position shown here, which raised the rear--still lower than with PPV springs
originally the oval slugs were in the low position--car was too low, so the slugs were flipped to the position shown here, which raised the rear--still lower than with PPV springs
lower arm mod - raised.JPG (31.09 KiB) Viewed 14600 times
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

Finally went to pull the trigger on SS springs only to have GMPartsDirect tell me that the fronts are available but the rears are on terminal backorder with no idea whether they'll ever be able to deliver them.

Looks like G8 Eibach's are my next option.

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
20129C1

Post by 20129C1 »

camrat68 wrote:Finally went to pull the trigger on SS springs only to have GMPartsDirect tell me that the fronts are available but the rears are on terminal backorder with no idea whether they'll ever be able to deliver them.

Jim
Jim,

Check out SSforums.com. I just bought a new-used set from a member there. Also, did you check any other GM parts sites?
2007 Saudi/UAE Caprice
1993 Camaro B4C M6 Purple Pearl Metallic
1993 Camaro B4C A4 Medium Patriot Red
2013 Camaro SS M6 "Panther"
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

I did but you have to have a certain number of posts just to PM a seller much less post a wanted ad so I passed on it.

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
20129C1

Post by 20129C1 »

camrat68 wrote:I did but you have to have a certain number of posts just to PM a seller much less post a wanted ad so I passed on it.

Jim
I ran into that issue on the G8 forum. The seller & I just traded emails on the thread & communicated that way.
2007 Saudi/UAE Caprice
1993 Camaro B4C M6 Purple Pearl Metallic
1993 Camaro B4C A4 Medium Patriot Red
2013 Camaro SS M6 "Panther"
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

camrat68 wrote:Finally went to pull the trigger on SS springs only to have GMPartsDirect tell me that the fronts are available but the rears are on terminal backorder with no idea whether they'll ever be able to deliver them.

Jim
Jim, the 2015-2017 SS springs are still available, I believe, and they'll fit just fine and provide the same relative drop as the 2014 springs. I'd also consider H&R springs (for G8) as an option vs Eibach if you decide to go to true "lowering" springs.