2013 Camaro SS Wheels

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
gregc

Re: 2013 Camaro SS Wheels

Post by gregc »

bkwagonss wrote:
gregc wrote:I had to get my rear fenders rolled. The 20x9 Camaro SS rims wearing 275 tires rubbed when I hit a hard bump. No more rubbing. I still would like to get some Holden Rims to fit the Impala center caps though. Maybe when the Chevy SS comes out, I'll go to 19"s.
As you could guess my Camaro wheels with stock tires are rubbing in the back.
I was thinking of putting the front wheels on the back to see if they will clear.
It would probably be easier to sell my wheels as a set and buy a new set with the correct sizes.
I think I still want Camaro wheels so I looked at Tire Rack.
Around $1500 for 4 20x8 Sport Muscle CM5 wheels (Camaro copies)
With 245/35-20 tires, mounted and balanced, TPMS, shipped.
It would be easier to buy 2 front Camaro SS wheels. The front is 20x8. You can always sell your back rims. There are always people wanting to replace just one rim. I thought about buying 2 front rims to replace the back ones, but I still want to put on my Impala center caps on, but the only fit Holden or Pontiac G8 rims.
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

gregc wrote:It would be easier to buy 2 front Camaro SS wheels. The front is 20x8. You can always sell your back rims. There are always people wanting to replace just one rim. I thought about buying 2 front rims to replace the back ones, but I still want to put on my Impala center caps on, but the only fit Holden or Pontiac G8 rims.
My wheels are chrome, so selling a set of rear 9" chrome wheels is harder than you think.
I have the whole set for sale on the Camaro5.com forum in the NJ local market place.
Someone offered me $400 for the wheels, but he didn't want the tires. I'm asking $750obo.
I also stuck the front wheels on the back. With someone in he back seat I can still get the fenders to rub on the tires.
Now the wheels still have the 245/45-20 tires on them.
So after everything I've read, here and other sites (mostly G8) I've come up with a combo I hope will work.
I'm looking at a set of (4) 20x8 wheels with a 35mm offset. (same as the Camaro fronts) These are actually Camaro ZL1 replica chrome wheels.
On those wheels (4) 245/35-20 tires.
Having all 4 wheels the same will give me the chance to rotate and clear the fenders.
I'm ok with not having 275 tires in the back.
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
gregc

Post by gregc »

My Camaro SS has chrome rims that have curb rash on it. If I had the cash, I'd buy them. But I decided to put my midnight silver Camaro SS rims on my Camaro instead. I've got Pontiac G8 rims coming in on Tuesday. I'll put the OEM tires on it and replace the Pontiac center caps with my middle east Caprice SS center caps. The car won't look as extreme with the lowered stance and the big 20's. It'll just have a high profile tire, that's all
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

Been doing a lot of investigation and looking at wheels online.

One of the things I was confused about was wheel offset, so I looked up the definition.
wheel offset = the distance from the hub surface to the centerline of the wheel

So I did some calculations:
The Caprice rim is 8” (203mm) wide with a 46mm positive offset.
From the hub to the outside edge it’s 101.5-46=55.5.

The Camaro rear wheels is 9”(228mm) wide with a 40mm positive offset.
From the hub to the outside edge it’s 114-40=74.
No wonder that rubbed the fender.

The Camaro front wheel is 8”(203mm) wide with a 35mm positive offset.
From the hub to the outside edge is 101.5-35=66.5.
That rubbed in extreme conditions with stock Camaro tires.
That's a little better, but a bit disappointing because most of the wheels I was looking at have a 35mm offset.

So I looked at the Holden HSV wheels you guys mentioned.
They are 20x8 with a 45mm positive offset.
That is really close to the Caprice rim, so no problem with rubbing.
They are a little bit expensive and I don't see them coming in chrome. (my favorite color is chrome)

What I don't understand is how all these companies online can be selling wheels with so many different offsets and say they will fit the Pontiac G8.
So even the chrome ZL1 replicas, that I wanted, are 20x8 with a 35 mm positive offset.
I don't know if just going with lower profile tires (245/35ZR20) will keep me off the fenders, especially with a load of people or on an autocross course.

BTW, according to a cool tire conversion calculator I found, the exact 20" tire we would need to replace the 18" tire is a 235/39-20.
Of course there is no such thing. I couldn't even find a 235/40-20 tire, so the 245/35-20 will be close enough.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tireca ... -245-35r20
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
Cajun G8

Post by Cajun G8 »

bkwagonss wrote:What I don't understand is how all these companies online can be selling wheels with so many different offsets and say they will fit the Pontiac G8.
Generally, car manufacturers will specify relatively narrow wheels and higher offsets on the factory wheels. They want to make sure the package fits with no rubbing and there is enough room to fit snow chains as well and have that clear the fenders. There usually tends to be some room to work with under the fender opening, which allows wheel manufacturers to push the wheels out further to the edge (which many people like). You'll see different offsets, because wheel manufacturers want a specific wheel to fit more than one application (i.e. G8, Cadillac CTS, BMW, etc all use 5x120). Offsets can vary as well depending on the width of the wheel (wider wheel = lower offset so the inner wheel doesn't hit the suspension).

So, to sum that up, there is usually a range of offsets and widths that will work for a given application. It's always good to consult internet forums to find out what others have done and what fits with or without rubbing issues. Hope that helps.
PMD G8

Post by PMD G8 »

The best fitting tire sizes for Camaro 20's, which shouldn't rub at all b/c it appears the Caprice sits higher, are 245/35 Front, 275/30 Rear. If you run stock Camaro rubber then you will probably increase the height of the car by another 1/2 and inch or an inch. I really don't know how some are running 245/45 and 245/40's up front and are not rubbing.

All G8 owners have had to put new rubber on the Camaro 20's in order to get them to fit. And if nothing else, if you decide to go with a set that has rubber on them, sell the tires to a camaro owner. Thats' what I did. Made $500 back.

There are two huge threads dedicated to the Camaro rims on G8board.com. Check them out if you want. Tons on knowledge, photos and info in there.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And in the meantime, what they look like on my car. Also, my car is lowered on SLP springs.

Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

gregc wrote:I will definately be getting the black SS 20's to replace these Camaro SS rims.
Greg, did you ever follow through on this?
gregc

Post by gregc »

Navy Lifer wrote:
gregc wrote:I will definately be getting the black SS 20's to replace these Camaro SS rims.
Greg, did you ever follow through on this?
No, I could kick myself for missing the Black Friday sale. I went with G8 GT wheels with impala caps and factory tires. I'll get the replicast when the stock tires wear out.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

According to the Replicast website, the ideal offsets are +45 for 8" or 8.5" wide wheels, and +55 for 9.5" wide wheels...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tom, this is in line with the new SS 19" wheels, which are:

F 8.5" +48mm
R 9.0" +57mm