Standard PPV Wheels: Exact Specs?

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Standard PPV Wheels: Exact Specs?

Post by Navy Lifer »

Navy Lifer wrote: offset: +38mm - backspacing can be useful, and aftermarket tends to speak in terms of backspace instead of offset...although OEM's typically deal in OFFSET dimensions. With offset known, the backspace dimension can be calculated fairly closely, as long as the advertised rim width (bead to bead) is known, and overall width of the wheel, lip-to-lip, is known.

A +38mm offset means the mating flange surface of the wheel is 38mm toward the outboard side of the centerline of the wheel. If you were to take a wheel, measure it's width, whether bead to bead or lip to lip, and divide that in half, that dimension is "zero" when it comes to establishing the reference plane for measuring how far off of zero the wheel mating surface is. Now, if I've confused anyone....these were the top 4 in a search that goes on & on:

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

http://www.ehow.com/how_5021837_calcula ... ffset.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=calcula ... 97&bih=545

Steve,

:oops:

Looking back through some other wheel data, I ran across a note to myself--the stock steel (8" wide) wheels are +46mm offset, not +38mm.
Tariq

Post by Tariq »

Navy Lifer wrote:Before the Metric "revolution, most GM automobile wheel studs were 7/16". When the 1980 Chevy Citation (X-car) came to market, it was one of the first GM cars to use 12mm - specifically M12x1.5 - wheel studs. I'm not sure about the earlier Chevette, but few if any US/NA GM cars were metric prior to Citation. With exception of cars that were already in production (B-body) most everything else from GM went Metric over the next decade.

B-body (full size) and other variants, depending on application and "heavy duty" use specs, continued to be either 7/16" or 1/2" (station wagon, cop car, Fleetwood limo) from 1977 to 1990. Anything that was 4.75" bolt circle was 7/16" until that model went Metric, then became 12mm (Camaro, Malibu). All FWD cars starting with Citation were M12. When the B-body went 5x5 bolt circle on all applications, in 1991, the wheel studs reverted to 12mm, where previous 5x5 applications had been 1/2-20 thread.

Trucks were largely 1/2", using a 5x5 pattern, until the late 80's Silverado came along and the wheel studs were increased to 14mm, but initially remained in a 5x5 pattern. Later light truck stud pattern size was increased to 5.5" x 6 studs, still using 14mm studs. Astro van used 1/2" studs all the way to early 2000's, then went M14, and from 5x5 to 6x5.5 pattern.

To my knowledge, the Pontiac G8 was the first GMNA car to utilize 14mm (M14x1.5) wheel studs, and the Camaro, being of the same family, followed suit, as well as PPV.

Current GM (Chevy) fleet stud sizes:

Cruze/Sonic - 12mm - 4 & 5 studs
Malibu - 12mm - 5 studs
Impala - 12mm (2013) - 5 studs
Impala - 12mm (2014) - 5 studs
Camaro - 14mm - 5 studs
Caprice - 14mm - 5 studs
Corvette (2013) - 12mm - 5 studs
SS sedan (2014) - 14mm - 5 studs

I am curious to find out whether the re-engineered 2014 Corvette will remain on M12 studs, or move up to M14--I am guessing it will continue with 12's as a matter controlling mass/un-sprung weight--a BIG deal with Corvette.

Just what precipitated the change to 14mm on the Zeta chassis isn't known (at this level), but I'm OK with it!

Silverado - 14mm - 6 studs
SUV's - sorry, don't know, don't much care!
So if I bought Malibu 2013 18" wheels it will not fit to my Caprice?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tariq,

The quoted portion of my comments was more about wheels studs than wheel stub patterns (BC or bolt circle). Consider this an update to my previous remarks.

There has been a migration/consolidation/movement of patterns for the GM mid & full size cars, except for Corvette, which is still using the 4.75" pattern.

Current Malibu (including 2013), Impala, Camaro, and SS sedan are all now 120mm pattern and all are using 14mm wheel studs.

According to this source (link below), an Impala wheel (2014 OEM - 120mm BC) has the larger center bore (70.3mm) that was common to 4.75" BC, as used on Corvette and many other applications for years. Caprice uses a 66.9mm center bore wheel/hub register dimension.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Whe ... 3teqnZaa1k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In other words, both current (2013 & newer) Malibu & 2014 Impala (not Impala Classic - old W-chassis) wheels can be fitted to the Caprice.

Assuming the wheel center bore info is correct, it would be a wise decision to also install hub-centric rings with these wheels.

Example of a source for rings (there are MANY):
http://www.hubcentric-rings.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - closest dimensions would be 70.1mm OD and 67.1mm ID

The only other thing you need to watch is how much the offset of these wheels differs from stock Caprice. From what I've seen, there should not be any issue using them.

Disclaimer:
What I've yet to determine is whether the hub register/wheel center bore is the same or different for Malibu & Impala, which share some rotor PN's, as compared to Camaro & SS, which are the same as your Caprice. Point of this is that I cannot tell you whether the Malibu wheels use the same hub register size as your Caprice, but I will assume that they do.
Tariq

Post by Tariq »

Navy Lifer wrote:Tariq,

The quoted portion of my comments was more about wheels studs than wheel stub patterns (BC or bolt circle). Consider this an update to my previous remarks.

There has been a migration/consolidation/movement of patterns for the GM mid & full size cars, except for Corvette, which is still using the 4.75" pattern.

Current Malibu (including 2013), Impala, Camaro, and SS sedan are all now 120mm pattern and all are using 14mm wheel studs.

According to this source (link below), an Impala wheel (2014 OEM - 120mm BC) has the larger center bore (70.3mm) that was common to 4.75" BC, as used on Corvette and many other applications for years. Caprice uses a 66.9mm center bore wheel/hub register dimension.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Whe ... 3teqnZaa1k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In other words, both current (2013 & newer) Malibu & 2014 Impala (not Impala Classic - old W-chassis) wheels can be fitted to the Caprice.

Assuming the wheel center bore info is correct, it would be a wise decision to also install hub-centric rings with these wheels.

Example of a source for rings (there are MANY):
http://www.hubcentric-rings.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - closest dimensions would be 70.1mm OD and 67.1mm ID

The only other thing you need to watch is how much the offset of these wheels differs from stock Caprice. From what I've seen, there should not be any issue using them.

Disclaimer:
What I've yet to determine is whether the hub register/wheel center bore is the same or different for Malibu & Impala, which share some rotor PN's, as compared to Camaro & SS, which are the same as your Caprice. Point of this is that I cannot tell you whether the Malibu wheels use the same hub register size as your Caprice, but I will assume that they do.
Thanks for these infos Bill
already I bought the rims and I don't know
if it will fit or not.
but frome what you said I feel it will.

Tariq

Post by Tariq »

Bill
the center bore for Malibu wheel is 66.90mm and the offset is: 42mm

I don't know is this Good or No? :idea:
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

should be "perfect"....assuming there are no clearance issues between back side of wheel spokes & caliper

What is the width of these wheels?
Tariq

Post by Tariq »

Navy Lifer wrote:should be "perfect"....assuming there are no clearance issues between back side of wheel spokes & caliper

What is the width of these wheels?
18"
And going for 245-45-18 Tires
The Malibu OE tires are 235-50-18
And r u sure that our Caprice CB is 66.9mm??
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

yes, center bore is 66.9
kevink

Post by kevink »

Navy Lifer wrote: Looking back through some other wheel data, I ran across a note to myself--the stock steel (8" wide) wheels are +46mm offset, not +38mm.
I just did some quick measurements on one of my wheels which confirms that +46mm offset is correct.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Numbah1

Post by Numbah1 »

5.8 back spacing on stock wheels with 46mm offset? Just looking for confirmation b.c OP has 6.x. First car ive had where i needed to figure out offset