Best Tire for Caprice PPV

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
ejf2461

Best Tire for Caprice PPV

Post by ejf2461 »

My 2013 Caprice PPV V8 is suppose to be delivered today...That's another story. The seller stated that 1 tire needs replaced and the other tires are about 50%. I get tires through the police dept. on the state qpa bid from Goodyear & Firestone. I have looked on Tirerack and noticed the Goodyear RSA we so commonly use in police work have a poor rating overall and with a treadwear rating of 260aa they don't last that long either. There is a tire Made by Continental called Extreme Contact DWS 06 they has Excellent Rating in All Areas & 560aa treadwear rating. Police Price on the tire is about $150 installed, balanced & road hazard from Discount Tire. My question is what tires have you guys used when you replaced your tires and do you have any recommendations or warnings? Kinda excited to get the car finally!
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
eagle-co94

Re: Best Tire for Caprice PPV

Post by eagle-co94 »

I ran the Continental DWS's on another car while in Germany on the autobahn, in the rain and snow and on the Nurburgring. They're awesome tires.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

Also interested in opinions, as coming up on replacing the @#$%^&* OE RSA's.

Going to put the new ones on the original wheels, original size.

Anybody know anything about the BFG G-Force Comp-2?

Thanks in advance!
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
'11 PPV 9C3 Phantom Black Metallic
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

SBRMD, It is a 3 Season Tire. I checked the rating on it from TireRack.com and it an amazing tire. Not recommended for snow. They do make the same tire in All-Season:G-Force Comp 2AS. It about $8 more a tire but its good in the snow. Make sure wherever you purchase tires they match the prices of Tire Rack which is about the cheapest you will find. Also the Treadwear Rating is 340aa which isn't much better then the 260aa of the RSA's as far as life expectancy. The All Season version of the tire is 400aa which is about 40k miles you will get out of them. Good Luck!
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Now running the Michelin A/S3's--40 series profile is a little rough & noisy, but looking at going back to an 18" wheel/tire, running 255/45-18 as alternate size to get a little more sidewall. Was very happy with Continental DWS 235/50-18's, not sure if I'd go with Michelin again, but they've modified the tire at least once, so it may be that the newest version A/S3 is better....this may all change once I dump the stiff PPV springs, so it will be awhile before the Michelins are worn out, but hope the change to SS springs and revised (front) struts will improve things.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=655&p=5532&hilit=C ... tire#p5532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

I have had the Extreme Contacts on my car for about 5000 miles so far so good wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better in the snow than the goodyears
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2. They are sticky,grippy, and quiet. Low rolling resistance and aggressive tread pattern.
I had them on my Camaro and got them for this, as I was so happy with them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
NoMiCaprice9C1

Post by NoMiCaprice9C1 »

I have been running the Michelin Pilot sport A/S3. There great in the rain and dry weather. Not sure I'd buy them new but great for what I paid! Getting caught in the snow is fun(some what call scary) but hey it's the only time they let me drift on public roads....
2012 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 (117k) "the daily"

1994 Chevrolet S10 Blazer (229k) "the new beater"

2006 Hummer H3 (220k) "for mall parking lots"
l77

Post by l77 »

Vredestein Ultrac Vorti
x-pro1/x-pro2/x-t30
8/12/18/35/60/90mm
brenard

Post by brenard »

Does anyone have real world experience with the Conti DWS06? The sales rep from http://4wheelonline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is giving me a good price on these tires. I'm a fan of Michelin but I want to try Conti tires.