New wheels - 17" rear 18" front

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Maxspeed96ct

New wheels - 17" rear 18" front

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

picked up some c7 replica wheels for my car.

18x8.5" front 54mm offset with a 15mm spacer (needed to clear strut) and longer studs with a 245/45/18 tire.

17x9.5" rear 54mm offset and i used a 5mm spacer but you dont have to with a 255/50/17 tire. I plan to run a 17" drag radial in the future.

I'm running eibach ss sedan springs, rear had no issues but up front I had to trim the inside liner that pokes out near the inside corner of the fender/bumper connection.

Only have one pic for now but had to share. I really love the fat rear.

ImageUntitled by david B, on Flickr
kevink

Re: New wheels - 17" rear 18" front

Post by kevink »

Looks killer. This is the best fitting wheel/tire combo on this site. It works great with those SS springs.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

It is a nice factory look.

I've had one of these wheels for awhile, but never have done a fit-check with it.

To me, the issue is fitting the wheel via adapter versus spacer, since the bolt pattern is not the same.

Are you using a hub-centering ring?

Changing to longer studs and using spacers also makes the car harder to change (back) to stock wheels or other wheels without a spacer requirement, since it will then have long studs sticking out--some may not care, but it's not where I would want to be.

The wheel pattern is my biggest concern--many do this and don't care, and I understand that. If I was going to use these wheels, I would probably have the pattern on the wheel re-machined to 120mm for full lug nut taper contact.
Maxspeed96ct

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

Negative Nancy thanks for your concerns lol

The wheel pattern is the same. G8 and ctsv guys have been using vette weeks for years now.

The longer studs are only need in the front and pop out in 30 minutes if you wanted to switch back.
A matter of removing the brake caliper and giving them a light tap.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

No apology from me--negative Nancy characterization aside, I've done my homework....the patterns are not the same--120.0 is not 120.65, plain and simple.

Try putting a G8, Camaro or PPV wheel on a Corvette--it will not fit....what makes anyone think it's "OK" to put Corvette wheels on any of these cars simply because they can put the wheel over the studs?

Yes, there are a lot of people doing it and getting away with it, I will not deny--from an engineering standpoint it is wrong and if no one will speak out about it, I am compelled to do so.

You have not answered my question--are you using hub centering rings?

There's more where these came from:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-ti ... ndrum.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-ti ... y-fit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-ti ... nasty.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kevink

Post by kevink »

Navy Lifer wrote:Changing to longer studs and using spacers also makes the car harder to change (back) to stock wheels or other wheels without a spacer requirement, since it will then have long studs sticking out
Sorry, but what does this have to do with anything?! It's also hard to take a G8 center console out of a 9C1 car, put the stock cam, converter, and gears back in a car, etc., etc. There are hundreds of threads on the bolt pattern debate out there. You can read about it all day, but you probably won't find one case of failure or problem arising from it, though.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

kevink wrote:Sorry, but what does this have to do with anything?! It's also hard to take a G8 center console out of a 9C1 car, put the stock cam, converter, and gears back in a car, etc., etc. There are hundreds of threads on the bolt pattern debate out there. You can read about it all day, but you probably won't find one case of failure or problem arising from it, though.
All well & good--wheels are fundamentally more important to safety than what happens in the interior, or as regards the mechanical modifications mentioned. Wheels are the single most-frequently changed component on just about any "enthusiast" vehicle. While I'm not a drag racer, I do understand the necessity of long studs in certain cases, but if I am changing wheels, I'm not looking for the same solution, and I'm going to focus on wheels with the correct pattern, which will not always be the cheapest path.

With that said, to challenge with the question "what does this have to do with anything" is to ignore the obvious....yes, Corvette wheels are cheap and readily available, yet look at what has to be done to accommodate them. Failures may, in fact, be rare, but that does not make it right--find me a GM engineer that will bless it.

A broken clock is right twice a day, but it's otherwise of no use.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

they make lug nuts that would allow full seating of the cone for the slight difference in bolt pattern
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

not sure I've seen them...where's the link?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

Navy Lifer wrote:not sure I've seen them...where's the link?
i cant find them now :/

the conical portion of the lug nut floated on the threaded nut , i used them several years ago on a pontiac solstice that i helped build for SEMA , i remember them not having a common size bolt pattern at the time