TPMS reset on 2014+

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
paul54

TPMS reset on 2014+

Post by paul54 »

I apologize, but I did search, and what I found does not seem to work for me. Tried the hold lock/unlock with key on, no joy. Found a reset option in the display, and I "entered TPMS learn mode", but letting air out of the tires did nothing.

My garage will do it, but just wanted to save the trip!

Thanks
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: TPMS reset on 2014+

Post by smwalker »

Why you doing a relearn? Change Sensors?

ANd how much air you let out?

EDIT: Nevermind this guy found that you could not do it by deflation on the 14+ WN/VF platforms. Need the TPMS tool to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAU6Y5GZnH4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
paul54

Post by paul54 »

Yes, I bought a new set of steelies for my summer tires, and got new sensors. Seems like I let out a lot of air, but did not measure it.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yea even the owners manual does not mention the let the air out method. Looks like they did away with it in 14.

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Tools are getting cheap: $8.00 from China:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EL-50448-TPMS- ... SwgS9a~a~A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

i just ask at discount tires , they usually do it for me for nothing , as well set the air pressures too
paul54

Post by paul54 »

My guy did it yesterday for free, no problem. But it would be nice to be able to do it, so when/if I rotate tires, I can avoid the trip. Do these $16 Amazon reset gizmos really work?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C6B5K41/re ... merReviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yea the cheapy ones work well for what they are designed for. There are basically only 2 frequency of TPMS sensors 315 Mhz and 433Mhz. The cheapest ones that say they work for GM what they are saying is they only do 315Mhz which is most of GM cars. So if you expect it to work for every car it wont but probably work for most cars. They are simple receivers that just send a signal back to the TPMS sensor of like "I see you" and that is all the system needs is some kind of acknowledgement to confirm where the tires are on the car.

Higher priced ones with a display screen will tell you stuff like the temp of the tire and the battery condition in addition to the sensor ID number that you have to use on some cars to install new sensors.

But if you are just rotating tires or switching to snow tires there simple ones are fine and get the job done.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Black6

Post by Black6 »

You won’t be able to do it. Have to take it somewhere. My car has the same issue. When the key is in the ignition and forward, the key fob no longer works (because police car? Idk). To get the car into learn mode you have to have key in the forward position and press lock and unlock. But can’t because lock/unlock is disabled.

Dealership said they can force the car into learn mode using tech2
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
paul54

Post by paul54 »

Actually you can get into learn mode right from the steering wheel stalk. Get to tire pressure display and hold the button. The press lock/unlock stuff is from the previous generation.