Show off your wheels ON YOUR CAR!

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
CrashTestDummy

Re: Show off your wheels ON YOUR CAR!

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bill, I'm guessing those are CTS-V calipers? Are you just mounting the calipers to the stock rotors? I'd suspect that will reduce the unsprung weight a bit, right? Get scales under each caliper when you do the swap, it would be fun to know what the weight difference is.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Gene/all....

Yes, these are re-finished CTS-V (04-07) Brembo calipers. They are the same as 2010-2015 Camaro SS and fronts from the G8 GXP--and essentially the same as what is being used on the current (2014>up) Chevy SS sedan. The least-cost way to do this with new parts is the early CTS-V, for whatever reason. Just remember, the Gen-1 CTS-V used 6 wheel studs, so the early Caddy rotors can't be used.

The Brembo calipers fit 355mm rotors up front, same as Camaro, and are thicker at 32mm--PPV rotors are 345mm x 30mm

In back, the 2015 SS sedan provided a new rotor (360mm x 28mm) that also has the correct park brake diameter. The Camaro SS rear rotor is 365mm, but has a different and larger park brake drum diameter.

Stock PPV rear brakes (324mm) are the same as G8 GT/GXP and 2014 SS sedan, so the swap to Brembo calipers and the bigger rotors is without issue. based on the full-Brembo 2015 SS sedan fitment.

I'll try to remember to do a weight comparison, but I suspect the corner weights will actually be higher (and more unsprung weight) when the larger rotors are considered. The move to alloy wheels vs PPV steel wheels is where that weight can "saved".

It's not clear that the Brembo brakes will fit behind the 18" PPV steelies--may need a small spacer--but there are some aftermarket 18" alloy wheels that WILL clear the Brembos...even the 6-piston/370mm fronts from ZL1 Camaro or 2nd gen CTS-V. Camaro SS specs "require" 20" wheels for the SS, but it's a radial clearance issue with the pads spec'd for that model--Chevy uses pads with dampers that extend above the caliper body radially.
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

The Brembos will fit behind the stock steel wheels.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bill, Bert, good info. Yeah, with the larger iron rotors, that will probably negate the lighter caliper weight difference. I see I can get 06 V Calipers from a parts store for $99. And you're using the '15 Camaro SS front rotors? Those are $53 each from the parts house. :)

I do have a set of '15 SS wheels I want to eventually put on the car, but would like to keep the possibility of using the steelies. Fitting those brakes behind steelies would be a nice option. While it just gives you added brake 'capacity', going the parts house route, or even take-offs, it isn't a terribly-expensive mod, considering what other stuff costs for these cars. :lol:
Last edited by CrashTestDummy on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The option to use an aftermarket 355mm 2-piece rotor & hat does exist (DBA, for example) and the 370mm rotor (ZL1/CTS-V w/6-piston caliper) is already available as a 2-piece design from GM, but they don't sell the rotor ring separately. DBA does sell the 355 rotor ring as a service replacement. The hat, in both cases, is aluminum, so it does reduce total mass, but you definitely pay for that privilege.

Yes, there are many aftermarket 355mm (Camaro SS/G8 GXP/SS) rotors--Rock Auto has fronts from $37 to $115, and the OE front is $74 (before 5% discount and shipping).

If I don't do a DBA front rotor, I will most likely use this one (just to save on initial cost and/or until I decide to get a DBA 2-piece front pair), selling at $85 from RA:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... 05&jpid=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wasn't sure about the PPV wheel & 4-piston Brembo/355 combination, but I really don't know if there are issues with the 18" steel clearing the 6-piston caliper setup. I've got a friend in San Diego with a GXP fitted with the 6-piston/370 front setup, and it clears his 18's, which are aftermarket alloys--maybe TSW, if I recall correctly. The car is a daily, but he also autocrosses--6-speed manual & supercharged LS3.

Finally, FWIW, the 370's are also 34mm thick, so the caliper is pushed outboard slightly, which may or may not cause problems with clearance on the PPV wheel--those using OE SS forged 19" wheels have had to use a 3mm spacer for caliper body to back of spoke clearance with the 6-piston caliper.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

how did you get them refinished?
Looks like powdercoat to me? and the decals? under clear?
that looks way better than the finish on the stock camaro SS calipers which from what I've seen is a much flatter finish which then looks super dirty as you use them. I think i might go the same route but get it done in bright red. looks like the entire thing has a coating even on the crossover tubes and banjo fittings? I wish someone would finally post up a comprehensive list of what exactly they used start to finish including things like the different caliper bolts spacers etc.... We should have a version that shows the front 4 piston setup, 6 piston setup and the rears and then get good pricing for each also so people have a reference later and can decide what they want....
I know I'm dreaming its sunday...
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Not an unreasonable question for a "dreaming" Sunday!

They are powder coated with metallic black, and the custom decals were applied, then clear baked over that. The choice I made was for the bow-tie to be RED, and the rest of the logo white. It can be any number of colors or combinations, but I wanted something relevant and based on a current Chevy/GM image--this one is right off of the Chevrolet Performance Parts catalog, with my coloring choice, and no underlining. Chevy, for whatever reason, wants all of it's on-car bow-tie images to be gold....there was a period of time when the red bow-tie was understood to be indicative of a "performance" model (which was abused significantly, I will admit). I suppose black is the more current "alternative" color to denote performance as far as the bow-tie.

The work was done by Mike Golding, The Powdercoater http://thepowdercoater.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, in Loganville GA. The guy is a one-man operation doing it part time--his full-time job is flying for Delta. He's scaled back his activities due to a promotion, and will still work with existing/previous customers. I can help you if you want to use his services, but there are many shops all over the country that do similar work.

Yes, I agree--don't know why GM/Chevy chose such a dull coloration for the 2010-2015 Camaro standard Brembo calipers. Cheap? I don't understand why nor do I feel there's any obligation to promote the Brembo brand, but I suppose that's part of what the deal is/was between Brembo and nearly every brand they supply calipers to--the "trademark" Brembo logo on the front of the caliper body must be the price an OEM pays to get the parts at lower cost.

I'll be working on that parts list.....
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yeah, the 5000-series 2-piece rotors from DBA are pretty expensive at >$400 a corner. :shock:

OTOH, one can do the CTS-V caliper and stock 355 mm rotor and get away with a pretty good deal, then lurk other sites for folks parting out a so-equipped car with some nice rotors. I'm surprised Wilwood doesn't have anything like that yet, but it appears they do not. I guess they figured there's no need to compete with Brembo for those cars.

Edit: Hmm, didn't think about the ABS ring. That's not part of the hub?

If that wasn't a concern, one _can_ put together a two-piece rotor. The hat is $190, and the rotor runs between $200-$370 each, depending on material, slotting/drilling, etc. One can even spec a ceramic rotor for $2200 a corner!! :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Gene, please cite the sources for your specs & pricing

ABS is internal to the hub, which is separate from the rotor(s).

Ceramic....from what source? I missed that one!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I'll post my findings tomorrow.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?