New from Chicago

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
andrewL

New from Chicago

Post by andrewL »

Just bought a 2014 caprice with 64k miles and I'm here hoping to get in on some group purchases and information about everything from appearance, problems and all out performance. I know a decent amount about engines having just got out of School of Automotive Machinists so hopefully I can also have some good input to some discussions. If you haven't guessed by my username my name is Andrew.

Look forward to learning about these awesome cars
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: New from Chicago

Post by smwalker »

Great to have you Andrew! Welcome!!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

While not officially a GP, there is a really sweet deal on rear deck spoilers. You can't purchase it yourself for less.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1345
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Andrew, welcome to the group! And SAM has a great reputation. Hopefully you had the opportunity to learn about the LS engine family.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I just saw the SAM reference. That means you're in the Houston area? Welcome, neighbor. They're a great wealth of LS knowledge. One of the instructors there built the engine in our C Prepared autocross car.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
andrewL

Post by andrewL »

I'm actually in Chicago now I finished up at SAM a couple months ago. And as for that spoiler I'll be purchasing one as soon as I got my funds in order. Kinda threw all my eggs in one basket when getting the caprice. So what do you guys think is best for starting out these builds? I plan on taking it pretty slow until I have the money to go all out. I was thinking start off with the solo axle backs and either a rotofab or an OTR intake. Couple appearance things and drop her a little bit. I'm a little worried about this whole DOD thing can we delete it with a tune and is there any risk in that? Or is it a must to do cam and lifters?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Its great the title is "new from chicago" and people ask where your at....

You can turn off the DOD function with a tune, however you still are running the same parts that many people have had fail at higher miles... And speaking of that I'd highly suggest a tune should be up higher on your list, made huge difference to my car daily driving over any bolt on part. Get a good mail order tuner and they will agree to redo the tune as you add other parts along the way....
andrewL

Post by andrewL »

Good call I just figured make it breathe a little better before the tune and then add some appearance things while I save up for when I decide to go balls out
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I would say even on a totally stock car the tune is worth it just from the changes they can make to the throttle response with the TM reduction and the transmission shift points, my car came stock with full throttle upshifts set to 5200rpm... just change that out to 6k and its a like getting a cold air setup right there....

second best thing I did to the car was having the radio reprogrammed by White Media...

Camaro take off wheels was best appearance mod so far
andrewL

Post by andrewL »

Is there any specific tuner you'd recommend? If I can get a guy that'll update tunes as I nod the car I'd definitely do it first. This throttle response off the line needs to change