New Owner 2014 9C1 w L77

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
lima6

New Owner 2014 9C1 w L77

Post by lima6 »

Hello and thanks for a great resource. I was looking and reading about these cars for a long time. Started with an interest in a used Crown Vic PI which quickly evolved once I learned about the New Caprice. I found a 2014 9C1 w/ L77 with 2,200 miles and 22 idle hours, garage kept, so I jumped at it and am very happy. Wow what a drivetrain-- I told my wife it's a practical family sedan but as we all know it's a 4 door Camaro!.

It has been upfitted by Kerr with the standard stuff. There is a center console, flasher module up front w green/white switching wire on passenger floor, a passenger side circular roof hole plugged w a rubber grommet, blue and white flashers under the trunk lid, and it looks like a wiring harness for siren & front lights and who knows what else. Vinyl rear seat and rubber floors. No spotlights There is that sticker on the inside center of the trunk with all those codes but it's all Greek to me--is there a guide to those?

Questions for the group: 1. What floor mats fit it? I like Weathertech trays but they don't list Caprice on their site. Would the Chevy SS ones fit?

2. What to do about hole in roof? Body shop fix it vs have an antenna mounted as intended. Should I have a 2 way radio shop do that to be sure it's nice and waterproof? What sort of antenna-- hockey puck 3G type? I've considered installing a GMRS mobile UHF unit which they would actually use the antenna.

3. Center console options? Used G8 I have read about here but I don;t love having the idea of inoperable window switch and parking brake there.

4. Any advice? I'm going to garage it for the winter. Car cover recommendations? Motor oil recommendations--manual says 5W30 "Dexos" but I'm wondering if Full Synthetic is recommended or a good idea. Premium unleaded? Stay away from E85?

I plan to eventually read every post ever posted here to really educate myself. Thanks to whoever runs this site.

Stuart

attached os the info sticker from the trunk if anybody can shed light on the options it may have that I'm unaware of
ppv.jpg
ppv.jpg (388.42 KiB) Viewed 11225 times
Silversled

Re: New Owner 2014 9C1 w L77

Post by Silversled »

Welcome aboard! I just picked up my 2014 a couple of months ago myself.

Here's my input to your questions:

1) The Chevy SS floor mats should fit. However, I don't have anchor points to attach them so with the plastic floor mat (instead of carpet) they may slide around. I'm not sure if your's have the floor mat anchors.

2) For now, I plugged the main hole with a sheetmetal plug which is a plastic plug for this application. I then put a patch of 3M 1080 wrap on top to seal it. Eventually, I'll have my body shop properly plug it.

3) The 2014 PPV shares a similar body in white to the 2014 SS. The dash and the center console share the same attachment points as the SS. The problem I found is that the factory hacked the area that interfaces with the SS center console so if you just install the SS center console there will be a big hole. The solution that I'm working on is to install the SS dash and center console. (picture at end).

4) I don't like car covers because they tend to put micro scratches in the paint. Talking oil is like talking religion but my religion is AMSOIL Signature.

2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Welcome Stuart, great to have ya!!

There is that sticker on the inside center of the trunk with all those codes but it's all Greek to me--is there a guide to those?

That is called your SPID (Service Parts IDentification) Label. Decoding it can be done by checking the list in the technical service manual on page 6. Should have most of them in there: http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfl ... -guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any that are not on the list are most likely standard RPO (Regular Production Option) codes and are used across many platforms. Try the RPO Codes Website and see what you can come up with.

1. What floor mats fit it? I like Weathertech trays but they don't list Caprice on their site. Would the Chevy SS ones fit?

Think the Chevrolet SS or G8 should work for the front But for the rear they will both be short by about 4 inches but it should not make that much of a difference in the back,

2. What to do about hole in roof?
If you do not need the antenna have it repaired/filled (one less thing to leak). One member recently posted up a do it yourself kit that fills holes, looks promising. Then the good thing about the roof is once you got it flat you can put a piece of black vinyl wrap up there until you get the rest of the car painted. Video of hole filling kit.

3. Center console options? Used G8 I have read about here but I don;t love having the idea of inoperable window switch and parking brake there.
Since you have a 2014 a G8 console is not an option for you. 2014 started a new style dash that is interchangeable only with the Chevrolet SS. And it looks like you need to obtain the entire upper dash just to get the proper center piece that flows into the proper center console. One member is doing just that here: Scored Dash and Center console.

4. Motor oil recommendations--manual says 5W30 "Dexos" but I'm wondering if Full Synthetic is recommended or a good idea. Premium unleaded? Stay away from E85?

The Dexos 1 standard for oil is being reached by manufactures using synthetic blend oils and full synthetic oils. So depending on how many miles you want to go in between changes will dictate what you use. If using the oil life monitor in the car they seem to be going at about 8000 miles intervals for me. So I am using full synthetic as that is pretty long in my opinion. Here is a list of manufactures reaching the Dexos 1 standard for oil

87 octane is all that is recommended. Maybe go higher if you are getting any pinging, but if everything is right in your engine it should correct for things like that. On the E85 the dope is it is cheaper but you get less MPG with it so it kind of evens out. Have not heard anything detrimental about it with our cars. Anyone?
Last edited by smwalker on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

lima6 wrote:attached os the info sticker from the trunk if anybody can shed light on the options it may have that I'm unaware of
I also suggest you act on this--not sure if (or where) I've posted this in New Caprice:
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/warranty- ... ur-ss.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will provide the ID of every code on the SPIL. If you can't find a cooperative dealer, let me know and I'll send you a report--just need the VIN.
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

The 2016 Cadillac CT6 is basically the same car. Things that I have found to fit our cars are as follows

1. Floor mats
2. wheels
3. Side Chrome side Door trim Molding
4. After Market 6 piece side window Chrome Trim Molding
5. seats

I am thinking that the carpet and rear door panels will fit all years, and the Front Door panels Dash and center console, should fit the 2014.
Also Keep in mind that the Cadi is much more plush and has many more electronics like the seats. Even the rear seats are heated and electronically adjustable.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

mercialogo wrote:The 2016 Cadillac CT6 is basically the same car. Things that I have found to fit our cars are as follows

3. Side Chrome side Door trim Molding
Really? Speak more on this kind sir. You talking the lower door moldings? And do the fender and rear bumper ones fit as well? Have you ordered some?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

it would only be 6 pieces, Front and rear door and the small piece just in front of the front door. THey are not using any chrome strip on the front and rear bumper covers. But they are the exact size needed. Sadly, I have not found anything other then from the Dealer yet. Still trying to line out a price too.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV