New member from Lake Jackson, Texas

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Sanford

New member from Lake Jackson, Texas

Post by Sanford »

New to the forum from the Texas Gulf Coast. Recently picked up a white 2011 Caprice with ~38,000 miles that had digested too much water, from a county fleet auction. From the looks of the interior and lack of holes for a partition, only one hole in the trunk, no window tint and minimal decals, it appears that it was not used by the sheriffs dept.
I popped the heads off of it and found one rod was bent and twisted and the piston was shattered and wedged in the bore. Unfortunately they let the car sit too long and a couple of the bores had some pretty deep pits in the cylinder walls, plus I am not 100 percent the cylinder that had the rod/piston damage did not get cracked.
Found a ~26,000 mile 2013 model in Tennessee that was hydroplaned which had front and rear body & structural damage. The car is up and running and I am in the process of stripping the 2013 for spare parts for the 2011. It is pretty amazing of the differences in the parts between the 2011 and the 2013 as I work on a spreadsheet of the part numbers of the parts that are still usable.
I have been taking plenty of pictures as I dismantle the 2013 as a reference for some of the hidden fasteners and clips. I keep vehicles for many years and as you hit the late 50's, the memory is just not the same as when I was in my 20's and 30's.

David
elc32955
System Manager

Re: New member from Lake Jackson, Texas

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome to our happy little group! Yep, your car is not the first that's tried to play submarine. EagleCo94 has one in the same boat, 2012 9C3 with a hydrolocked motor but his car only had 760 miles. He's supposed to be swapping the motor in the next week or two so there might be more parts afoot :)

Good luck on the repairs and again welcome!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Re: New member from Lake Jackson, Texas

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Ahh, another member in southeast Texas!! Welcome.

If I had reason to pull the engine out of mine, I'd seriously-consider removing the DOD parts, and upgrading the cam, adding long tubes, throwing a converter at the transmission, etc. Good luck on your conversion, and please let us know when you start jettisoning parts you no longer need.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?