Hi From Central Australia

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
RedCentreBluey

Hi From Central Australia

Post by RedCentreBluey »

From the sunny Red Centre,.
WN Holden Caprice V L77 Auto SOAG Grey
WN Holden Caprice V L77 Auto Nitrate Silver
WM Holden Caprice LY7 Auto Phantom Black
Attachments
My Baby
My Baby
IMG_0203.jpg (718.41 KiB) Viewed 9082 times
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Hi From Central Australia

Post by Pursuit »

Nice looking car! Thanks for joining. I know I might ask a few questions from time to time. Feel free to do so also...

Welcome.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

So from the tags, I'm assuming you're from the southern end of the Northern Territory? My wife _just_ got back from a trip to Australia, doing the usual touron things; seeing the southern coast of Queensland, snorkeling around the GBR and touring the parks and forests around Cairns, and visiting Uluru. She had a great time, and noted that most of the police cars were Caprices.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
RedCentreBluey

Post by RedCentreBluey »

When you say 'Tags' I assume that you are referring to the small print on the licence plate. IT's actually a standard text on all NT licence plates, unless you have one of the many vanity plates. And yet you were correct, I am in Alice Springs, which is southern NT, and almost exact centre of Australia. The car is a working unit, the PH refers to Private Hire, akin to a town Car or Limo type service.

At 15 months of age, it has around 125,000km on the odo (around 80,000 Miles)

The photo shows the car in as-built form, but with the slim weathershields added, and it got Mudflaps, Rear Roof Spoiler (which does nothing except look cool and prevents the car wash rinsing the rear glass properly) and the rear trunk lid lip spoiler, which people tend to use as a handle to open/close the lid

The local police cars are not Caprices, but the shorter wheelbase Commodore which you will know as either a G* or Chevy SS. (And a few Ford Falcon's or Toyota 4WD beasts)

My Silver Caprice is the same but without most of the external add-ons, but it does have a few little tell-tale things that make us think it was once used by The Spooks in Canberra, and going by its ownership and registration history
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Sorry, we're a people separated by a common language. :lol:

'Tags' is 'Merican for 'License Plate'. They are usually manged by the state one lives in, so they almost always have some indication of the state they come from. Ours all have 'Texas' across the top.

I'm sure she didn't spend a lot of time looking at the cop cars there, she was out hunting wildlife. They do look a bit alike, and with different grills and tail lights, someone not versed in the true Holden configuration could probably easily confuse a Commodore with a Caprice, especially if they're not lined up side-by-side.

She did say that several she talked to about Holdens were sad that automobile production was ceasing in Australia. It seems a waste of facilities and experience, but I guess everyone is chasing the low-dollar bid winner. :|
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?